Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Rannoch Train Station - how to get to MacDonald Rannoch Moor Hotel?

Hello, I was considering the train from Glasgow to Rannoch Station and staying at the MacDonald Rannoch Moor Hotel - but I don't fancy the walk although it will be beautiful.

Does anyone know if there is a taxi service or road from the station to Loch Rannoch and the hotel?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @Fishjagger I'm a little confused - do you mean the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel which is 16 miles away from Rannoch Station at Kinloch Rannoch or the Moor of Rannoch Hotel which is apparently 50 m from the train station according to their website. I'd definitely not recommend walking to the former ;) but the latter should not be a problem.
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    @Fofoma thanks for the reply and i am mixing up my Rannochs and Moors and Lochs and hotels!  It is definitely the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel I am looking at, the one which is 16 miles away.  I was just wondering if there is a road from the train station that would take me to the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel or arrange a pick up or taxi?
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @Fishjagger There is definitely a road which takes you along the Loch.

I found this information on a local leaflet

Rannoch Dial-a-Bus Demand Responsive Transport Service (DRT2) On-demand public transport in Kinloch Rannoch and Rannoch Station area, provided by two local taxi/private hire car operators. Fares similar to local bus fares, (free travel Scottish National Entitlement Card holders) Times: 7.00am to 10.00pm, Monday to Saturday within a specifi ed geographical area. Full details available locally in the “Information for Passengers” booklet or from w www.rannochandtummel.co.uk To book a journey please contact one of the two operators: Gordon Brown Jurgen Rehling 01882 632418 01882 633398 01882 632733 07971 540282 07881 822216 e [email protected] e [email protected]

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    The hotel should be able to arrange transport
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is a bus that connects to Pitlochry (21 miles away) from the hotel if the dial-a-bus or taxi does not pan out. There are many direct trains to Pitlochry from Glasgow. I've taken that bus for about half your journey and it is pretty scenic as it hugs Loch Tummel for most of the journey. That bus doesn't run on Sunday so that is another factor. Hope this helps if you need a backup plan.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    @Horizons @YourScotlandTour @Fofoma That is brilliant thank you all for the excellent help and advice, much appreciated :-)