Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

2nd Trip to Scotland in March

Me and my wife visited last year from St. Louis and loved it so much we're bringing our son.  We're renting an apartment in Edinburgh March 11-18.  Anything special going on then we must do?  

Last trip we did the city and St. Andrews, the highlands, William Wallace Monument. Is a day trip to London realistic?  We didn't do Glasgow last time - worth the trip? Beside Stirling and Edinburgh any other  "must do" castles?

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @STL,

Day tripping to to London is possible but a lot of travel. I guess if you flew into London had a day or 2 then flew to Edinburgh it would be more efficient.

must do, the Palace of Holyroodhouse - in Edinburgh itself.

Also have a look for Glamis castle, the home of the earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne - it's most famous for its association with the Queens mother and Macbeth. If you're going that way there is Scone Palace, sort of on the way.

Dundee is in the way, which is home to the ship 'Discovery' which I've always found quite interesting as a snapshot into the past. Especially as a 6'3" chap... it's amazing how small people must have been!

How old old is your son?  Edinburgh zoo may be worth a visit, depending on his age? 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @STL
    It's great that you enjoyed your trip so much you are coming back! I searched for events in Edinburgh for the dates mentioned on VisitScotland.com - please have a look at the results here. You can also check the List online. If you come to the Edinburgh iCentre we will be able to give you a list of What's On for those dates. What kind of events are you looking for? Music, theatre, exhibitions?
    I don't think a day trip to London is realistic as it takes 4h30 hours on the train each way - even if you fly you will find that a lot of your time is taken up travelling. It would be great if you could spend one night there.
    Glasgow is very different from Edinburgh and is worth a visit particularly if you like art and Charles Rennie Mackintosh - check it out here. It is less than an hour on the train and they run every 15 min during the day so it's easy to get there. You could do a hop on hop off City Sightseeing Tour to get around the sights.
    Have you been to the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh? It's open all year and is a Royal Residence to this day (Mary Queen of Scots lived there and you can see her apartments). A lot of castles which are in fact stately homes like Hopetoun House or Scone Palace for example tend to open April to October so you will be slightly too early unfortunately. One trip you might want to consider is going to the seaside town of North Berwick (30 min from Edinburgh by train) - it's a great place with a Seabird Centre to explore and lovely views to the Bass Rock. Also Tantallon Castle is not far from North Berwick and, although a ruin, is well worth a visit for its dramatic setting. Linlithgow Palace is located between Edinburgh and Stirling and is the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots. 

I hope this is useful and you enjoy your second visit just as much as the first one!!  :)
  • Hello @STL!

I am glad to hear you are coming back to Scotland and think up some plans!

I would second @YourScotlandTour  mentions about Dundee! It is a city that is on its way up! The RRS Discovery was Captain Scott's vessel that sailed to Antarctica in the early 20th Century. It has a fantastic visitor centre exhibition telling you about the story of the British expeditions to the Antarctic in a highly-competitive field against Norwegian explorers. As part of your admission, you can board the vessel and explore the living quarters and get some sense of what it must have been like to live on the vessel during an expedition (minus the blizzards and pack ice). It really gives you an appreciation of the pioneering spirit of the explorers back in that era!

At the RRS Discovery, you can buy a joint ticket to visit Dundee Heritage Trust's second museum, Verdant Works, which charts Dundee's extensive industrial heritage, particularly around the jute textile industry, which led to Dundee's massive expansion. The facility is just west of the main city centre but is well worth a visit. In the last two years it has opened a restored mill extension called the High Mill. This displays some of the old machinery and offers impressive views of the mill from the 3rd floor. You can even see a Boulton and Watt steam engine from the 1801s which is one of only four working  in the world. This machine powered the industrial development in Britain at this time.  In the original museum section, you can learn about Dundee's connections to India due to the jute industry and also learn about Dundee's social history, which is a personal favourite of mine. A top tip; on certain days, the museum has working demonstrations of some of the old weaving machines used in Dundee's mills. It is an experience to see them in action! One of the dedicated volunteers at the museum used to work in the mills and has lots of experience and stories from mill life. In many of Dundee's jute mills, workers, who were predominantly women, used sign language to communicate! It is quite fascinating. More info at Dundee Heritage Trust's website:

Also in the city, a great museum to visit is the McManus Galleries at Albert Square in Dundee City Centre. It is free entry and open all year and tells Dundee's story as a city. You can learn of Dundee's early existence as a settlement, right through the present day. It really gives a sense of the city's heritage and highlights important features like the shipbuilding industry along with modern industries in the city like games design and cutting edge life sciences research. The facility also is art collections on display and rotating exhibitions which prove popular. The cafe is a relaxed space where you can admire the beautiful stained glass windows, one of which depicts the famous Dundee figure of Mary Slessor, a missionary to Africa.

Broughty Ferry, a seaside suburb of Dundee is a characterful place, full of independent shops, cafes and restaurants. At one stage during the jute industry in the city, 'The Ferry' as it is known locally, a more millionaires than the whole of London! Here you can take a beach walk or admire the stunning River Tay. By the river you can visit the imposing Broughty Ferry Castle, which is free to visit and offers great views over the river Tay;

http://www.leisureandculturedundee.com/broughty-castle-home

More information on Dundee and Angus at VisitScotland's website:

https://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/dundee-angus/

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/services/dundee-icentre-p332371

The Dundee City can be done over a weekend or a bit longer as the surrounding region of Angus has plenty of things to offer too! I hope you find some inspiration for the second visit. If not Dundee this time, maybe the third or future visits! 

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @YourScotlandTour  Sadly Scone Palace isn't open until 25th March so they would only get access to the grounds.  @STL A train trip to Pitlochry is a nice day out from Edinburgh - taking in the Fife Coast. In Pitlochry there is the new Pitlochry Dam Visitor Centre, lots of little shops and restaurants and two whisky distilleries to visit - Blair Athol and Edradour.
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Fofoma oops - I missed the dates! I'm going to go over there ---> and beat myself over the head with a calendar :smiley:
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • STLSTL Member
    It's almost here - apt on queen st - holyrood, perth - north berwick - glascow - E Castle (of course) Stirling = wadya think?
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good, you can also consider a day trip to the Scottish borders by taking the Borders railway to Tweedbank (for Abbotsford House) and then a short bus to Melrose (for the abbey).

My personal favourite day trip from Edinburgh is to Stonehaven. A beautiful rail journey followed by a stunning castle ruin, good seafood & a wonderful town. :smile:

Enjoy your holiday!!
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [Deleted Content]