Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Christmas Day in Scotland. Where to stay and what to do?

Hi,

My family of 4 (wife, daughter 14 and son 10) are busy planning a White Christmas holiday.

Coming from the tropics (Darwin, Australia) a White Christmas is on the to do list.  We have been told Aviemore offers best chance for snow at Christmas.  We will arrive Edinburgh about 21st, hiring a car and need to start heading back to London around the 26th.

Would really appreciate some tips on best places to stay, particularly for Christmas Day.  Not averse to Self catering accomodation, but we don't want to have to be doing any cooking on Christmas Day so some recommendations of restaurants, hotels, guest houses etc that provide a Christmas Dinner function is what I'm looking for at the moment.

Suggested itineraries would be appreciated as well.  Have been googling Scotland a lot and I'm of the opinion that there is just too much to see and do and we are already getting depressed at the thought of not seeing enough!  

Thanks in advance for your help and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions here as we get closer :)

David

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    When I was a young lad we had a Christmas in the http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-coylumbridge-INVCOHN/index.html 

It was a long time ago but I still have vivid memories of Santa arriving being pulled by reindeer on a sled - I know now that the reindeer come from the local reindeer farm!! It stands out in my memory as one of my favourite christmases.

There is no guarantee of snow in Scotland at any time though. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • edited March 2017
    YourScotlandTour says, we can't guarantee any snow (unless you go to SnowFactor in Glasgow of course  :D) but heading up north is your best bet.

As you're arriving in Edinburgh, I'd really recommend spending a wee bit of time in the city itself. Edinburgh's Christmas truly is magical and will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit! And if you don't have time to see all the sights, a bus tour is always a good option to give you an overview of the city, some also have special audio guides for children.

The annual parade on Christmas eve mentioned above still happens and is planned for this year too.  Or you can head over the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre itself.

For accommodation, there is a good range of smaller places and Guest Houses if you want a more quiet, personal experience but there are also several big hotel resorts which have additional facilities and events all in one place so it really depends on what will suit your family the best. I'd start by looking here to give you an idea of what's available.

Of course, if you can't see it all in one trip, you might just have to come back!