Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Shetland

Hello, I am new here. My son will be working in Shetland for a year from August.  At some point I will obviously like to visit him and would like to know what is the best way to get there, where to stay, what is the best way to get around and what is there to do in and around Lerwick for a couple of middle aged unfit people?
All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel ✩ Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello there. As someone who visits Shetland twice a year to visit family and friends, I think it is fair to say that if you are travelling outside the immediate Lerwick area, you really need a vehicle of some kind to get around. There are so many wonderful places and islands to visit from Sumburgh and St Ninian's Isle in the south, to Eshaness, Fedaland, and the isles of Yell and Unst in the North, that although there is a fine local bus service, having your own transport will make a considerable difference

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW ✩ Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi @craftycarer. Shetland is wonderful, you will love it! I would highly recommend the Shetland Museum & Archives, which sits right on the waterfront in Lerwick. It is fascinating and ideal for a potential rainy day. There is also a nice cafe within the building called Hay's Dock Cafe & Restaurant.

The Shetland Jewellery workshop and Visitor Centre at Weisdale is a real gem (literally!). It is situated  next to Hellister Loch, a great spot for wildlife; you might spot Otters if you are lucky!

I agree with @VisitScotlandMuriel; having your own transport gives you much more freedom to explore! Have a look on the Shetland tourism website; I found it very helpful when planning our trip a few years ago. Here are some ideas for accommodation.

I hope this helps, have a wonderful trip!  :)