Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Glasgow to Oban

Hello I will be traveling to Scotland the first week of May, 2017. I will be traveling by car everywhere. I am flying into Glasgow in the morning so I have all day before I can check into my lodgings. I was wondering what is some great things to do on my travels up to to Oban? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hiya @monnie777, there are so many things to do on that route. Here are a few I've done and highly recommend.

- Loch Lomond stops feat. Luss: You absolutely should try to stop at the village of Luss, one of the prettiest in Scotland. A lot of your route will be along Loch Lomond but very few stops are prettier than Luss (sample cottage pictured).

- Small detour to see the Arrochar Alps. A few miles north of Luss, you can take a small detour to see the village of Arrochar that has great Loch as well as hill views.

- Kilchurn castle : One of the most picturesque in Scotland. Actually this area has a couple of things to do, you can stop near the Falls of Cruachan for some waterfall pics. You can also go inside the mountain of Ben Cruachan where there is a power plant!

- Lunch at the Taynuilt Hotel gastropub, great and inventive food + fantastic drinks list (well none of the latter for you as you're driving :wink: )

- An alternative lunch can be at the Green Welly stop that is always full (I haven't eaten there personally).

This should be a good starting point. Am sure others well versed with the area will be able to give you more of the off-beat places to see.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I love the sound @Horizons route! 

Whilst you are travelling along Loch Lomondside on the A82 you should also stop at Inveruglas.  Park the car and follow the wee path down to An Ceann Mor - a wooden tower with one of the most magnificent elevated views over Loch Lomond.  
    An Ceann Mor 2

©Ross Campbell

Another great stop just north of Loch Lomond is the Falls of Falloch with the Woven Sound viewing platform.  The falls are also rumoured to be an old favourite of Rob Roy MacGregor.

©Ross Campbell

Oh, and if your passing by the north end of Loch Lomond you have to stop at the Drovers Inn at Inverarnan.  It's a quirky inn over 300 years old and serves up some great pub grub!
  • monnie777monnie777 Member
    Thank you both so much for these tips. I can't wait to check some of these places out.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @monnie777, Check out McCaigs Tower in Oban. Looks a little like the Colosseum. This is a great vantage point and amazing at sunset for those all important photos. The Coast restaurant is also not to be missed.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    edited February 25
    @monnie777 McCaig's Tower is a sight, this pic shows it beautifully lit up at night. The history behind it is a kind tale of humanitarianism, a make work project for unemployed stone masons. The view over the harbour as @fishypro shared, is not to be missed. Be careful in Oban, you may not want to leave that lovely place...
  • monnie777monnie777 Member
    @fishypro and @SuYL, thank you both. I have actually been to that tower and it is a place not to be missed. I actually did fall in love with Oban that is why I am going back 10 years later. I wil have to check out The Coast restaurant while I am there though.