Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Road Trip!

Wife and I fly in to Glasgow July 21, renting a car to tour the Highlands and beyond. We want to stay off of the beaten path. Small villages, small distilleries. We wish to try and act local (ha!). We will be in country for 9 days and fly out of Glasgow on the 31st. Would love some recommendations on must see towns, pubs, castles, ruins, distilleries. Things beyond the normal tourist path.

Thanks!!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @tjheath0423, your question is so broad that it can take a couple of days to fully answer it :smile: Scotland has an abundance of pretty towns, pubs, castles, ruins AND distilleries! So a few more specifics can help generate recommendations.

As a starting point, here is a 7 day trip map I have done twice and highly recommend for 1st timers. However it is a LOT of driving. Also checkout https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/4159/#Comment_4159 where I make some suggestions between Glasgow & Oban.

I highly recommend making a list of must-see places, map them out to make a 7 days driving map and then ask for recommendations on that route :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @tjheath0423,

Our Trip Planner tool might come in handy for you: https://tripplanner.visitscotland.com/

You can login with the same details you use for the community and then 'heart' different places you see that you'd like to go and begin to build a trip from there. There's an option to view as a map or a list and it will help give you a good idea of how long it will take to get between places. You can also share your plan with your wife easily as it gives you a custom URL.

Hope this helps! Also for my two cents on places to see that aren't just the main attractions, I recently went to Tantallon Castle in North Berwick and I was completely blown away - see my post here: https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/616/tantallon-castle
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Outstanding and many thanks! I should have added more, I know! We have been to Edinburgh twice (including Hogmanay 2016!) so we will probably bypass that area this trip. I am now going to dig in to your recommendations.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    tjheath0423

I have a central scotland road trip on my blog - whilst it starts and finishes in Edinburgh, it can help you out with lots of things to do - have a look here - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/Scotland-road-trip
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    Hi @tjheath0423 While in Glasgow be sure to wander around the Necropolis!

• McAuleyMcAuley Member
    I am currently planning my "road trip" for June - starting and ending in Edinburgh. I chose places to stay and am trying to make a list of things/places I want to see. I thought it would be easier to book lodging first then choose sites to see along the way....
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    There's no right or wrong answer @McAuley, i generally use google maps to plot the journey time between itinerary 'must haves' and then see where's nearby for good accommodation :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Ju153_S1mJu153_S1m Member
    Come and see Blair Castle on the main A9 road up north, did you know it has its own private army? You cant beat the views and history of this gem of Scotland! 
  • frannyfranny Member
    Ju153_S1m said:
    Come and see Blair Castle on the main A9 road up north, did you know it has its own private army? You cant beat the views and history of this gem of Scotland! 
    Just wanted to second this. Blair Castle is one of my favourite places. Along with the surrounding areas, it's one of those places I could very easily lose myself for hours. Absolutely recommended. 
  • tjheath0423tjheath0423 Member
    We are excited about our Journey. We are traveling to Oban for 2 nights, then off to Isle of Skye for 2 nights, from there it is Inverness for 2 nights, Aberlour (Whisky!) 2 more nights and end up with a night and full day in Glasgow before leaving!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @tjheath0423 That sounds like an amazing itinerary, have fun. If you visit Glenlivet for their free tour when in Speyside, do visit the Packhorse Bridge in the village nearby. Staffa from Oban is also a cool daytrip if you have the time. Enjoy!
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • Hey!

Theres a lot of beautiful nature spots you can check out here. If you like waterfalls, I know a few places. One being Bracklinn Falls in Callander, The Campsies which has three waterfalls all within minutes of each and gives you the opportunity to stand under a waterfall! That's to the north of Glasgow. The lochs around Loch Lomond are positively stunning, be sure to check out Loch Voil and if you go up ben A'an, a short drive from Callander, you get to experience 3 lochs in the one visit, Loch Achray, Loch Katerine and Loch Vennachar. If you've any questions about these places, just give me a message on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook my username is naturegeekgirl