Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Motorhome on North Coast 500

Hi,

We're picking up a rented motorhome next weekend and heading up to do the North Coast 500 for a week.

It's on the large size (pic attached hopefully) so was wondering if there are any potential pitfalls to be wary of?  We're planning to stay on the main route but wondered if there are any sections we should avoid?

In particular, is the road in and out of Applecross going to be suitable to something of that size?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DoddersDodders Member
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    This comment is not super useful but this is the sign on the dramatic road towards Applecross. Not sure if your motorhome is classed as a caravan (I cant even drive so am super-useless, sorry)

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• DoddersDodders Member
    :) Thank you. At least we know there's an alternative route.
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Dodders, there is a section on the North Coast 500 FAQs page about motorhomes which will give you an idea of what to expect. It would be great to hear any tips you have for other visitors after you've completed the route!
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Dodders My pleasure. If you do drive via Shieldaig, consider picking up some smoked salmon from the Loch Torridon smokehouse (their product is shipped to other countries!) and taking a picture of the red roof house.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    As a professional driver, I'd avoid taking a big unit like that over the top, go round the coast - it's a nice road, with better views from most of it, than going over the top anyway :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • DoddersDodders Member
    Thanks again for all the advice. Looks like we will be keeping to the coastal road by the sounds of it. :-)
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Dodders. I have traveled parts of the North Coast 500 twice now in a motorhome, and although it was a bit smaller than the one in your picture we never encountered any problems at all. There are sections of this route which is single track roads but as its such a beautiful route you will want to take your time driving as the scenery is just stunning and you wouldn't want to miss anything.  My favourite section I'd say was from Betty Hill to Durness, there is no shortage of amazing beaches along the way to stop off and take a walk and perhaps even a picnic :)  Unfortunately I didn't quite make it to Applecross  but I'm planning to do the NC500 again this summer, so perhaps I will make it this time. Please do share your photographs with us! :)