Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Become a Distiller for a day

Hello friends, does anybody know where i can book a tour for my partner to become a distiller for a day? google is being extremely useless! I know Highland park offer it but was looking for something more Speyside (as this trip home we are not visiting the islands) But, in saying that,  info on Distillerys that offer it, regardless of location, would also be great for future reference :smiley: Trying to be sneaky and book a wee surprise :wink:

Thank you Kindly

Laura

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hey Laura,

Firstly, what a thoughtful gift!! Warms my heart  :)

I have been to many a distillery but in my experience, very few offer the "become a distiller for a day" luxe package because of mostly Health & Safety regulations (welcome to the UK ;) ). Sorry to be of no help but I actually haven't come across anything past exclusive tastings and bottling straight from the cask.

On Googling, I did find Strathearn in Perthshire offering 1,3 & 5 day distillery working experiences for much cheaper than Highland Park (plus it isnt too far off). Hope this helps.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• Yeah I was hoping that wasn't the answer, but i've googled a fair few individual distilleries now to no avail. Glen Goyne do a malt master tour where you get to create your very own 200ml single malt which appears to be a unique experience, so that might need to be our somewhat disappointing winner. Thank you for you advice tho, its given me a few different ideas to ponder  :)
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Laura, 

Springbank do for a week...http://www.springbankwhisky.com/whisky-school/ and also do some lengthy tours. Glenfiddich do have a longer tour too with bottling. 

I have a connection with a distillery; I could possibly enquire into the possibility for you, drop me a pm if you would like me to as it would need to be organised specifically for you. Do you have a budget in mind?
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I was hoping that wasn't the answer, but i've googled a fair few individual distilleries now to no avail. Glen Goyne do a malt master tour where you get to create your very own 200ml single malt which appears to be a unique experience, so that might need to be our somewhat disappointing winner. Thank you for you advice tho, its given me a few different ideas to ponder  :)
    Hi @The_Scottish_Aussi10!  I'm sure your partner would really enjoy the Malt Master Tour at Glengoyne Distillery!  I was luck enough to join this tour last year and there is certainly a lot of yummy tasting involved to perfect your 200ml of single malt!   :p  You also receive the accoldade of becoming a Master Blender - even if it is only for the day! :D