Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

4 days in Edinburgh

what should I see in my 4 days in Edinburgh next May?

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @JohnHNorfolk I would suggest checking out our guide here: 3 days in Edinburgh.

Then with your extra day you could take a day trip to Glasgow (around 1 hour on the train, or 1 hour 20 on the bus) and we have some further tips here that might of use to you. 

Spring in Edinburgh is usually one of the driest times of the year, and the mild temperatures make for pleasant weather for exploring the city and its surrounding regions.  You should see a lot of cherry blossoms and daffodils, particularly in and around the Meadows. Hope this helps!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @JohnHNorfolk

The 3 days guide above is a good start (the Botanical Gardens, Arthurs Seat & Calton Hill are a must). Most things on the guide are quite touristy. If you want to do something offbeat, visit the picturesque Dean Village (on Sunday if possible when the small Farmers market runs).

For food & drink, take a trip to the Bruntsfield area which as a number of good restaurants, bistros, cafes & pubs. Hanging Bat is a local favourite pub with excellent beer.

Finally, if this is a 4 day trip to Edinburgh only and you have not seen any other parts of Scotland before, I'd highly recommend taking a day trip up north. Perthshire is highly accessible by rail and is the gateway to the Highlands that makes it a personal favourite region to visit (also home to a few good distilleries).
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Take a look at Edinburgh Bus Tours and the different options on offer - for example the Royal Edinburgh Ticket. It's an easy way to get around the city and it also includes the 3 Royal Attractions, namely Edinburgh Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Royal Yacht Britannia. Explore the Royal Mile, the National Museum of Scotland, Princes Street Gardens, the National Galleries and the Scott Monument. The weather is very changeable so pack a warm coat just in case! 
  • GlenstriderGlenstrider Member ✭✭
    There is a wealth of history, art, architecture and stunning walks in the heart of Edinburgh. Try a spooky Old Town tour at night! For a wee jaunt out of the centre take a bus to the mysterious Rosslyn chapel or the new Borders Railway down to Melrose.
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    Usquabae Whisky Bar. Fair to say "I love haggis." Their's was the best haggis I had in Edinburgh.