Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Oban July 2017

Do you have any suggestions for visiting Oban in July? I'll be there for 3 nights travelling solo by public transport. 

Best Answers

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    [Deleted Content]
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017 Accepted Answer
    Hello @virginiamacd . I spent four days in Oban, spring 2016, travelling by coach from Portree via transfer at Fort William. I have an accommodation recommendation, the Dunheanish Guest House on Ardconnel Rd. It was affordably luxurious for a solo traveller, ideal hosts, delicious breakfasts, conveniently adjacent to McCaig's Tower and mere minutes walk from the harbour, train station, downtown core. The view over the harbour toward Mull was spectacular.
    Oban was one of my favourite places in Scotland. Beautiful town for walking and exploring, many island hopping opportunities.
    The Potting Shed cafe is worth looking into for a healthy, hearty, well-priced midday meal. The planted tea pots caught my eye.  
    The journey by rail from Oban to Glasgow was lovely, if that's your next destination.
  • seafari1seafari1 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    As previously mentioned the slate islands are really worth a visit - very easy to get to Easdale on public transport - the no.418. bus leaves from outside the Bank of Scotland which is opposite the train station in Oban and brings you directly to the small village of Ellenabeich. A 2 minute ferry ride gets you over to the car-free island of Easdale, home of the world stone skimming championships !

Answers

• virginiamacdvirginiamacd Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your reply Horizons. I was hoping to visit Mull, so it sounds doable for 1 day, sounds perfect! I'll google Staffa and see what I can find, sounds great as I'm not scared of seasickness as a rule, I live on an Island myself. I'll be coming from Skye where I'll have been for 7 nights and when I leave Oban I'll be travelling to London so I'm not sure if time will permit stopping at Lock Awe but I'd love to!! Thanks so much for your help! Have a great day.
    Thank you Samantha_Grant, I enjoyed your blog! Beautiful photography. Scotland is incredibly scenic.
    My sister has a little Scottish terrier too, nice dogs.
    Thank you SuYL for your response! I actually just booked their last room available which looks perfect, very central. I wouldn't have found it if not for your response. Looking forward to Oban
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    @virginiamacd That's fabulous! William was one of the most professional and courteous hosts I encountered on my trip. Dunheanish was one of my two favourite guest houses in Scotland.* When I go back, I will request to stay there again. The house is beautiful, my suite's view was of McCaig's Tower, lit up beautifully at night. Out the front door of Dunheanish, the view of the harbour and neighbouring isles is panorama-worthy. (If William remembers Su from Alberta who departed a day early because of the Fort Mac wildfires, please pass on a "Slainte").

*The other favourite guest house? Inchgeal Lodge, Ballater. If Royal Deeside and Balmoral Castle are calling you, do try to stay at Diane's gorgeous accommodations. 
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @virginiamacd Me again. If you haven't worked out transportation on Skye, hiring a car is going to serve you better than public transportation. The latter, unfortunately, is too thin for all of the remote places you'll want to get to, stop randomly at and explore.

JansVans just outside of Portree allows pre-booking on-line, the rates were good, car immaculate, excellent customer service. Manual transmission autos cost less than automatics. Single track is easy to get used to, numerous conveniently located passing places, courteous drivers.

Here you go, The Quiraing, Trotternish Peninsula, first destination I headed for when I picked up my wee Peugeot. Breathtakingly beautiful hike.

SuYL beautiful photos!! Thank you so much for sharing, they're stunning. I'll have to think about a car lol.
     I'd be happy to send along your good greetings, 'slainte'. Guess I better brush up on my gailic.
    Do you feel like you needed trekking poles when you were there? Trying to decide if I should take some. I'll be 4 days in Elgol and I understand the hiking is incredible there as well.  
    Thanks again for your response.