Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Looking for cheap local haunts in Edinburgh

My friend and I (Oklahoma girls) will be heading over end of May for marathon and would love to know some cheaper local haunts for pubs, food and off beat activities/shopping. We are really wanting local suggestions instead of the normal "read it in a book". We do like our whiskey much better than beer, hopefully that helps with the suggestions. Thank ya'll so much

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    If whisky is your thing. Then, whilst not cheap, it's unbeatable. Head to the whisky society. You don't need to be a member to enter the queen street premises. But find yourself a friendly local who is a member to sign you into the rooms in Leith. Well worth going :-) 

Do you have the intention of hiring a car or using public transport?

How many days are you here for?
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Okierunnergirl if you want a whisky experience like no other without breaking the bank (which is not possible in Edinburgh), you & your girlfriends should take a short train ride to Pitlochry from Edinburgh quite early, do the Edradour distillery tour and then spend the rest of the day tasting vintages in their tasting room. I've tasted some exquisite whisky there (dating back to 1975) & the employees serve to what you'd like to drink. Here is a blogpost covering my 2 visits to what I think is Scotlands best tasting room <3

The pics or it didnt happen proof :wink:

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

@Horizons you may have tasted for free but how much did you end up spending one the bottles you bought once drunk?!!? Heheh that's always my downfall!!
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @YourScotlandTour their vintages are not free to taste :wink: But they are extremely reasonable priced (20+ year old drams costed < £15). It is a great way to taste many exquisite whiskies and make a day of it without buying a bottle :smile:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

Ah my bad, it's been a while since I've been a drinker at a distillery ... I normally end up driving!! 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • We will be using public transportation.  Don't think Scotland is ready for 2 Okies driving. haha. We will there for 2 weeks however will not be doing much for 2 days after running the marathon so may just check out the whiskey society. I'm sure we can find a local to help us out.  Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll are awesome.
    If you talk to me really nicely I may be able to make my way to Edinburgh for a night with my good buddies who are fellow whisky heads... it'll depend how busy we all are, so give me a couple of dates that suit your trip (Friday/saturday night is best) and we can arrange to take you to the society rooms in Leith for a couple of drams...

Aside from that, @Horizons above has a public transport blog which may help; seeing the unusual though, often means getting off the beaten path of public transport!!
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    If you like a wide choice of whisky, the Bow Bar on Victoria Street can offer just that and with a traditional local pub atmosphere as well.

Just down the Royal Mile at the High Street, you can also find a good choice of whisky and staff to offer advice at the Whiski Bar . It has fresh Scottish food at a reasonable price plus live music every night. 

Over in the New Town, there is Rose Street and the Black Cat . It's usually open to the wee small hours with live music some nights and a wide choice of whiskies and food.

If you fancy a different part of town and to sit out by the Water of Leith, there is Teuchter's Landing . It has an extensive choice of whiskies and well-priced and tasty food.

• SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I have a guide to pubs in Edinburgh - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/edinburgh-pub-guide

My favourite 'locals' pubs are: 

The Brass Monkey:  Dark and a little dingy, its one of the city’s best bars to pull a stool up at. Plus daily films are shown in the back room. 14 Drummond St 

The Baille: is how a local pub should be – and they pride themselves on it. Good selection of real ale on traditional hand pumps and a good food menu, with some creative offerings. Lovely place to hole up in in winter when the fires are on. 2-4 St Stephens Street 

Carriers Quarters – The Carriers describes themselves as a ‘little bar with a big heart’. I love it. Go – you will too, it is everything I love about Leith in a nutshell. 42 Bernard Street

Cloisters is a stalwart of the Edinburgh real ale scene; posting their huge board of real ale (and sometimes real cider) almost on a daily basis. To see what they have on today check out their twitterYou are also drinking in an old church hall – fab interior. 26 Broughton Street 

I also love the 'Joker and the Thief' on Leith Walk - you will probably find me propping up the bar - if you do, say hello! 

Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Thats a cracking list @Smidge. I'm sure that @Okierunnergirl will love checking these out. 

I found this post a few days ago with a great selection of tours, which may also be of interest. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube