Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

vegan travelers to Scotland

Hello,
I am new to this Community and not sure if this is the best spot to post my query. I'm planning a trip to Scotland and wondered if there are any others here who have already visited Scotland and/or are making plans to, that eat a vegan diet. I'm hoping for some tips and ideas about how to successfully explore Scotland and have our dietary needs not put too many limitations on our experiences while we're there.

Comments

• VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @conialex! Welcome to the Community :smile: 

You could have a look at the Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurants in Scotland thread which contains lots of useful suggestions for vegan-friendly places to eat and may help you narrow down where it is you would like to visit and stay in Scotland.

Most accommodation providers can offer a vegan breakfast on request, or you may wish to stay in self-catering accommodation. You can search and book accommodation through VisitScotland.com/accommodation which will show you what is available for when you plan to go. Each accommodation provider's page will let you know under the 'Facilities' heading if they offer vegan meals, as (for example) this property in Edinburgh does.

I hope this helps! :smiley:
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @conialex - always nice to hear of a fellow vegan!

The thread mentioned above is your best bet for getting specific restaurant/cafe tips around Scotland but just also wanted to let you know Edinburgh and Glasgow are often named two of the most vegan friendly cities in the UK!

In some of the smaller towns you won't have as much of a wide range or specialty products but fortunately baked potatoes are easy to come by and I just ask for them without butter. Always a good back up if you get stuck!

If you don't have the Happy Cow app already I recommend downloading it. Just enable location services on it and then click 'see food nearby' and it will give you a list of places in your area. It has been so handy for me while travelling!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • teddypdxteddypdx Member
    Also, if you have the ability to self-cater you will find a wide range of vegan foods to prepare for yourself. Violife cheeses are excellent - they make a Parmesan wedge that is amazing!
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    My wife's aunt is vegan and visited from NYC recently. There was never a problem :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • When you're out and about your best bet is to try and find a sandwich shop that does falafel and hummus - easily found in cities but unlikely in small towns. Most small towns will always have a chippy, but if it's too early for that you should find somewhere doing breakfast rolls - tattie scones on a roll are always a winner with me! Probably best to buy your sandwich fillings from a supermarket (Co-op is a good shout) and make your rolls in the morning.  For evening meals you're probably best finding an Indian, Chinese or Italian restaurant as the locals are unlikely to have much on the menu other than maybe a veggie burger if you're lucky.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Estebanez Coop is a good shout actually - their donuts are 'accidentally vegan' and delicious. Custard or jam flavoured and very inexpensive!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram