Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Outlander tour with a car from Edingburgh

We stay in June 9 day´s in Edingburgh. I have see the map on this side, but i haven´t found every places on my map. Have anybody tour tips, an how long it use?

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @Idefix What places are you not finding? I think you will have to choose just some of the locations to visit or you will spend all your time in the car.
    Perhaps you can group the main ones as follows

Hopetoun House, Linlithgow Palace, Blackness Castle and  Bo'Ness  & Kinneil Railway

Culross, Balgonie Castle, Falkland &  Dysart Harbour

Highland Folk Museum & Culloden (however this would be a long day from Edinburgh!)

Glencoe - worth a trip for the scenery even with out its links to Outlander.

Doune Castle, Tibbermore Church & Drummond Castle Gardens

If you do all these I think you will be doing well!!
  • [Deleted Content]
  • cab505cab505 Member
    As a fellow Outlander fan, I highly recommend that you spend at least one full day and night in Inverness so that you can spend time honoring the fallen and understanding what happened at Colloden -- walking through the exceptional Visitor's Center and then out on the field which is eerie.  Then go see the nearby Neolithic cairn, a burial site, which may be Diana Gabaldon's inspiration for Craigh na Dun. Then enjoy beer and live music in one of the little pubs in Inverness  -- we stayed at he Royal Highlander Hotel, which was like stepping through the stones itself as the paintings and wooden staircase felt very much 18th century. 
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @Idefix, I can agree with all of the above suggestions but none of them mention Callendar House in Falkirk which isn't too far away from Edinburgh. You can visit the Georgian Kitchen that was used in the filming of Outlander.
    The Highland Folk museum, Newtonmore, is the famous MacKenzie Village. I love this place. Also, you could try Preston Mills & Phantassie Doocot in East Linton.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    Craigmillar Castle in the southern part of Edinburgh was used for filming of season 3 ( Ardsmuir Prison?)  I plan to visit during my 2018 trip 
  • On the Outlander and Jacobite Trail.    Have you heard of Dr. Hugh Mercer from the North East of Scotland.    His story is in Fraserburgh Heritage Centre. www.fraserburghheritage.com