Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Walks Round a Loch

Upper Deeside is known for its many good walks. Loch Muick  7 miles round the Loch is especially popular where you often see Red Deer and lots of wild birds.
Can you recommend any other Lochs in Scotland to visit with lovely walks and wildlife  like above??

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Balgavies loch, near Forfar is a lovely short walk around. Through the summer Ospreys nest there and are often seen taking fish from nearby stocked for fishing Rescobie loch 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Hi @VisitScotlandPatricia,

Good topic! I would say Loch Lee in the Angus Glens north of Edzell is a good walk to look out for. The old kirk and kirkyard at the start of the walk is a nice feature too, the landscape provides a dramatic backdrop! You can sometimes see deer in this area too. Further down back towards Edzell, there is a pleasant river walk at the River North Esk and the Rocks of Solitude. To start this walk you have to pop through a lovely little blue door- very cute! Walking boots and clothing advisable for both the walks.

If you wanted a gem of a loch in the Angus Glens, then Loch Brandy by Glen Clova is excellent. It is a more strenuous walk compared to Loch Lee but the views of the hills from the top are superb! I was up there last March and we spotted a group of Whooper Swans on the loch, it was a special sight! Again, proper, strong walking boots and warm clothing in this area is highly recommended as is good research on the route to Loch Brandy from the Glen Clova Hotel. It makes things much easier and saves worrying on the route on the day. WalkHighlands website is quite useful for research and has details on walk descriptions. The Angus Glens are wonderful in general and so much to discover!
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    If you do head up to Clova, stop for a dram in the Clova hotel.... the water there comes from the river 'Brandy' which runs past the hotel. 

It's the only place I know of which puts Brandy in the whisky ;-) 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Loch Freuchie in Glen Quaich is a beautiful and interesting walk. You can circuit right round the loch in a few hours. 

I's second the Loch Brandy suggestion too.  Backwater Reservoir is a nice walk on a bright sunny day.  It's also in Angus. 

Aberfoyle is another great spot for loch walks as there are some lovely forestry trails there that loop Lochan Spling and pass Loch Ard. Well worth checking out. 

http://theweewhitedug.com/2016/11/11/let-there-be-light-and-cake/

And finally Loch Katrina from Trossach Pier is stunning. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @FurrybootsCity here is your blue door...

A favourite loch walk for me and my other half is Loch Ordie near Dunkeld

• SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Loch Leven in Fife is a great walk, there are cafes en route and the RSPB reserve to visit. It is 13 miles around, but on very easy walk/cycle path. You can also take the boat across to the castle in the middle. Easy to get to from Edinburgh too! 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram