Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Fitting it all in to two days!! (Ancestral trail)

Have reviewed proposed schedule  for visiting ancestors locality and come up with following for over 2 days.

Would appreciate any comments and feedback please:

Day 1 - GLASGOW/PAISLEY TO:  Port Glasgow; A82 to Tyndrum (92km 1hr 20m); A85 to Oban (60km 1hr); A85 back to Connel Bridge (9km); Ardchattan Parish Archive - Kintaline Farm - just one mile down the South Shian and Tralee Road, just at the north end of Benderloch ( 20 minutes from Oban); 
BENDERLOCH / OBAN - STAY OVERNIGHT

Day 2 - BENDERLOCH / OBAN TO: Ardchattan ? Cemetery @ Church?, TO; Ardchattan Parish-Ardchattan Priory- Coffins Trial (relatives headstone @ Priory (5-10m) SPEND AN HOUR or so; depart Priory to Achnacairn to A828 to A85 to Bridge of Awe, turning left and travel approx 8km more to Glennoe/Glen Noe (32km 45m) along Loch Etive; from Glennoe return to turn left near Bridge of Awe onto A85 travel app 14km to turn right onto A819 and onto Inverary Castle (home of Duke of Argyll) and Inverary ( 44km 45m); then A83 to Achadunan, Ardgartan, Tarbet change to A82, Arden (travelling along Loch Lomond!); to M8 to Paisley/Glasgow (105km 1hr 30m). Glasgow at night- dinner and scenic views. PAISLEY OVERNIGHT

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    My first question would be...what time of year are we talking about?  2nd question where  did you get your timings from? 
  • PhilipOzPhilipOz Member ✭✭
    cheers for comment. Talking mid-late April.  Timings were from a website.... cant remember which one now.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @PhilipOz. Once you leave the bustle of Paisley and Glasgow and approach Loch Lomond, the drive to Oban is very enjoyable. Should you have time, either on your way or your return route then you must visit the pretty village of Luss on the west side of Loch Lomond. This is a beautiful conservation village with lovely views of the Loch. 

Continuing northwards on the A82 at Inveruglus there is a purpose built viewpoint where you will get the most spectacular view looking down Loch Lomond.

Kilchurn castle situated at the north end of Loch Awe is stunning,  and is one of the most photographed castles in Scotland. Inveraray castle is also beautiful, and with its fairy tale look makes for some great photographs. 

Oban itself is a popular seaside town, and as you are travelling mid to late April I would advise that you book your accommodation in advance as it does get rather busy. 

There are a few VisitScotland iCentres located around your route, so why not pop in and find out more about what you should see and do in the area? You will find an iCentre in Balloch, Tyndrum, Oban and Inveraray.

I really hope you enjoy you visit to the area and finding out more about where your ancestors lived. It certainly sounds like it will be a busy but fun two day trip.  <3

VisitScotlandLyndsay
    thank you so much. :-)
     does the itinerary seem practical?  I have never been o/s so maybe am overplanning the whole thing.   I saw on one website that there is an average of 5 hours daylight hours in mid to end April!?  is this accurate? will road travel be ok from say 7am to 7pm?
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @PhilipOz. April is a great time of year to visit Scotland, the daylight hours are much longer allowing you to travel a lot longer. I would say that from mid to late April sunset is around 2000 hours. As you are only visiting Scotland for 2 days I can understand why you would want to fit in as much as possible. If I were travelling from Glasgow to Oban I would allow myself 2.5 to 3 hours driving time, that's following the M8, A82 and A85, all of which are good roads. However, I'm sure you will want to stop en route and see all the amazing sites so you will take much longer to reach your destination, but I do think your itinerary does seem practical.

I really do hope you get to explore all these places and that the weather will be kind to you. I'm sure you will have a great time, but as I mentioned in my other comment that should you need any help/advice when you are visiting, then please do pop into one of our iCentres.  :)

VisitScotlandLyndsay    Thank you so much for your feedback :-).       
  • The roads are good but the traffic along the side of Loch Lomond can be very heavy and the roads are winding, so travel can be slower than you expect.  Will you be driving on the "wrong" side of the road for the first time?  If so, you may want to take it a bit more slowly.  And beware of car-sickness on the winding roads: it catches out many people who aren't used ot them :( 
    OK, now I've given you all the bad, here's the good: your route is fabulousy beautiful, the light will be perfect for photography (even if it rains) and you'll see some really lovely, interesting places.  And you'll leave wanting to come back for a much longer visit!
    Charlotte Fleming
    I blog about quirky bits of Scotland and especially my home county of Angus at www.scottishvisitor.co.uk
    ScottishVisitor           Thanks for the feedback! :-)  I travelling from Australia, with a Welsh mate, so the side if the road to travel on is the "right"side :-)
      I am already in discussion with my wife to revisit in 2018 for McIntyre Clan reunion, as I know this trip is no where near enough! It is my first overseas opportunity so I grabbed it!  Thank you again for comments.