Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Train from Fort William

I will visit Scotland this March. I am very interested in the Jacobite but it does not operate during that time. If I ride the regular passenger train from Fort William towards Mallaig, do I get the similar feeling, see the same scenery as on the Jacobite? The second question is: If I ride train, what is the best point to turn back so I may see/visit something interesting: Glenfinnan, Arisaig, Mallaig? (I will not have time to go to the islands from Mallaig). Thanks!

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @CYC Yes it is the same feeling & the same scenery for much cheaper :smile: For your 2nd question, you have a 3 great options in Morar, Arisaig & Glenfinnan itself. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Morar because seeing such a pretty beach in Scotland is a unique experience. But Arisaig has Sea Kayaking & Glenfinnan has fascinating views.

If you take an early train outward on a non-Sunday, I would consider matching the train timetable with the local bus timetable to be able to see 2 of the 3 places recommended above. They're scheduled in an interleaved manner so it really helps sightseeing. Find their timetables here

P.S. I am so glad someone asked this question, many people genuinely do not know that local trains run on the same line as the Jacobite.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• that is been very useful as we will hope to do that journey in june
  • LouALouA Member ✭✭
    Good to know. I want to take the steam train to Mallaig but didn't want to take the same train back to Ft. William. If I can catch a bus in Mallaig and stop other places, I will look into my options. Thank you.