Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

STICKY: Welcome to the community!

Comments

• terrig2017terrig2017 Member ✭✭
    Hello from Virginia, USA. My husband, son and I will be making our first trip to Scotland in October 2017. This trip is my son's college graduation present. We have wanted to come for years and are so excited to finally be able to visit. Thank you for the site. I look forward to learning from the threads.  Terri
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello and welcome to the community @terrig2017

I hope you enjoy having a look around and getting lots of inspiration for your special trip.

• Charmed8Charmed8 Member
    Helloooo just joined based in Edinburgh :-) I have been given a task to find sightseeing and things to do for a few days in September. I really need advice where to take a group of people with minor disabilities some wheelchair bound on day trips out around the Blair Gowrie area. Would welcome some feedback from those local in this area or have visited. Thank you 
  • CarolaBriCarolaBri Member
    Hello everyone, 

I'm Carola and I'm italian. Between the end of march and april I will move to Scotland to work. 

I will stay at Blair Atholl, near Pitlochry, so I'm interested in any activity in Pitlochry or near Blair Atholl.
    I already did some research and on the we I will visit as much as I can, but if you have any suggestion I will be more than happy!

C.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Charmed8!
    Welcome to the community!  :)   There are lots of things to see and do in and around Blairgowrie and you can find out a wee bit more about the region here. Why not start a new discussion under this section of the community: https://community.visitscotland.com/categories/scotland-s-cities-and-towns  I'm sure you will get lots of great feedback and ideas to help you plan your trip! :) 
    Hi @CarolaBri!
    It's great to hear that you are moving to Scotland and welcome to the community! :)  Perthshire is such a beautiful area!  
  • JDouglasJDouglas Member
    Hello!  I'm Jennifer and live in Atlanta, GA USA.  My family is currently planning a 10-day "50th anniversary for my parents" trip in Sept 2017 which will include three generations aged 14-71.  Still working on the details but hope to have a bit of time in Glasgow, Edinburgh, the Highlands and the Lowlands (Clan Douglas, after all).  We will have a rental car.  My father is very interested in Douglas genealogy so any special activities we can plan for him would be a big hit.  This is the first trip to Scotland for everyone (although we have traveled in England and throughout Europe)... what took us so long??!!!! :)  

I'm happy to have found this site and look forward to learning from the locals and those experienced in Scotland travel!  Cheers, y'all! :)
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello and welcome @JDouglas! I'm sure your trip to Scotland will be worth the wait :) 
  • AussiechicAussiechic Member
    Hello Everyone!
    I LOVE everything about Scotland... the stunning scenery, the castles, the history, the gorgeous people, the food, the whisky etc., etc. I have an absolute passion for Scotland and read everything I could get my hands for years!! But living in Australia...... actually getting there was just a dream for many, many years. Finally, in September of 2011, I got to see her :)
    I arrived with 4 fellow travellers and hired a car and spent 5 weeks in total, blissful, awe!!!

Prior to arriving, I spent months planning our holiday. I stumbled across a site called (Scotland by the roadside)   HI @Bruce This site helped immeasurably .... I ended up sending them my entire itinerary so they could tell me, if what I'd planned was do-able. They tweaked it a bit, suggested changes, but it helped enormously knowing what we planned was going to work. (There were some who thought we were insane.... travelling 3 and 4 hours in a day...... visiting 4 or 5 castles or distilleries in a day). No doubt it was a gruelling schedule some days, but while I'd like to think I'll get back there one day, it was a trip of a life time! When I talk of my holiday to other Scottish people I meet, I realise I've seen more of Scotland than most Scots. 
    BUT... there is plenty  more I'd like to see, more turrets to climb, more whiskies to try :p 

In saying all that, if I can be of help to anyone planning a holiday, I would love to. Especially any Aussies..... we are all use to travelling miles to get anywhere over here. I drive 8 hours just to see a footy game, then drive 8 hour home again! B) 

Alba gu bráth

• mamamacdonaldmamamacdonald Member
    edited February 10
    Hello!  I am mamamacdonald  and I live in Arizona in the US, I am ashamed to say.  We were in beautiful Scotland in 2005, and every day I have wished to go back.  Looking forward to interesting conversations here!  Feel free to email me anytime!

Slainte!  (my keyboard won't allow the accent!)
    Hello and welcome to @Aussiechic - thanks for sharing your experience, including the planning stage which can be a bit daunting but very exciting at the same time.

Hello and welcome to @mamamacdonald . Haste ye back! 

I think you will both enjoy reading and contributing to the discussions.  :)

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi there, my name is Graeme. I am a PGA Golf Professional & B&B owner. I was born in Leeds and lived in Vienna, Austria for 14 years until I moved to Pitlochry, Scotland with my wife Susanne. I love the Scottish Highland Mountains, Lochs, Glens and especially the food & drink. I don't get to play much Golf anymore but still love discussing it.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • dunlyndunlyn Member
    Hello
    My husband and I are coming to visit Scotland from Canada for 2 weeks in Sept-17.  We have found many  ideas of places to visit and things to do from your website and community. Looking forward to seeking out more information as our plans begin to materialize.
    "Will you join me on a lifetime of adventures?" he asked.
    "Yes", she answered, "even on the Tuesdays."

• VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Welcome @fishypro and @dunlyn :)
  • HilaryHilary Member
    Hi I'm Hilary. I'm the Food & Drink Sector Officer at Angus Council. As well as providing business support to all kinds of food & drink businesses I run the Taste of Angus promotional campaign to tell everyone about the fantastic produce in this area. A perfect job for me as I'm a self-confessed foodie and love eating out. Follow all Angus foodie news on Twitter @tasteofangus
  • WeeMarieWeeMarie Member
    edited March 7
    Hi my name is Marie and I'm from Kirkintilloch, me, my partner and our rescued GSD Ben love traveling Scotland I have a flickr account with all the photos of places we have visited,  once I'm allowed I will share a link so other doggie people can see where they can go. 

At the moment we are on the Isle of Seil (birthday treat from my partner) what a stunning place,  the house we are in is amazing and everyone is dog friendly so much so we feel like one of the locals, but it's like a time warp because everywhere shuts early so the past couple of nights we have had to go to Oban for something to eat, we found an amazing place that are super dog friendly and the food is amazing, they do meals for £5, its called The Lorne Pub.. the food is that great we have had steak the past two nights lol. 

This is what I'm interested in places to stay or day visit with Ben that we don't always need to eat outside, it's OK if we have the weather but if we don't it can spoil the trip.

Sorry for being a bit long winded lol

Marie....
    Hello and welcome to the community @Hilary and  @WeeMarie.
  • WeeMarieWeeMarie Member
    Thank you,  Sorry for taking so long to reply.
  • MerryAnnMerryAnn Member
    Hello from across the pond! I'm a teacher from Canada, thinking of coming to Scotland for a year or so to teach and travel. In my search about your country and which area I might try for a position, I came across this site. I'm hoping to read about and share your passion for all that is Scotland and hopefully make this idea of moving to Scotland a reality. Thanks for all you care to share.
    Welcome to the community @MerryAnn

I'm sure you can find inspiration here and good luck with the search.
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭
    Hi. We bought our VW T25 last year and will embark on our second trip to the Highlands in September. Wonderful, beautiful place to visit.
    Hello and welcome to you @Alizay11

I hope you will enjoy the forum too.
    Wonderful! @Alizay11 ;
    Where are you from? Are you planning a trip to Scotland or do you live here? Have you visited Scotland before?
  • maurinskymaurinsky Member
    Hello, my name is Maureen, my husband and I will be visiting Scotland in November, because we are cheap and so are flights to Scotland in November. But he's always wanted to go to Scotland, and I would very much like to see him in a kilt, so we are very excited about our upcoming trip, even though apparently many of the usual touristy things will be closed. 

This will be my second visit to Scotland, I went on tour with a singing group in 1988 and visited/performed in Edinburgh and Fife; at the time, I was too young to legally drink in the US, but I was legally old enough to drink there, so I don't remember very much of that visit.

We have planned a few days in Edinburgh, 2 days in Glasgow, and then we are renting a car and taking off to drive to various places that we haven't yet mapped out. We definitely want to visit Skye, I've been told Applecross is a fun/scenic drive, but basically the second half of our trip is as of yet unplanned. 

Look forward to learning more about the best places to go!

edited May 13
    Welcome to the community @Johnny5 ! :The Highlands of Scotland are so beautiful you just have to make a return visit! :)

Welcome to the community @maurinsky! :)  Your holiday sounds fab...I'm sure you will find lots of brilliant ideas on the community for the second part of your holiday!
  • JoanManelJoanManel Member
    Hi all!
    I'm Joan Manel from Sabadell, near Barcelona (Catalonia).
    I'm coming with my family next summer to Scotland and I want to thank the whole community for the huge quantity of interesting information offered in this pages. Thank you all, will be very helpful!!!
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @JoanManel, Welcome to the community, just let us know if you have any questions!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • LottesLottes Member
    Hi over there from Germany. I'll come over next week with my lovely wife Stefanie to discover Scotland. We will stay in Edinburgh and start some trips around this lovely city.
    Cheers Lothar :) :)
    Hello and welcome @Lottes

I'm sure you will enjoy Edinburgh. Come and visit us at the iCentre in Princes Street and we can help you make the most of your time.