Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Pub Recommendations - Edinburgh?

Looking for some local suggestions. Good food and beer would be great.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    The top recommendations for Good food & (craft) beer are HolyRood 9A in Old Town (great burgers) & Hanging Bat on Lothian Road (best Chili Con Carne & beer selection in town). The Caleys Sample room on Slateford road is a bit off the city centre but has a strong food menu and a decent beer lineup.

For exceptional craft beer apart from those above try Salthorse & Bow Bar. Their food selection is not very strong though. Didnt mention BrewDog only because they're ubiquitious. Am not a fan of O184 food.

Join the Good Beer in Edinburgh Facebook group to be in the know of the Edinburgh beer scene & events (like Meet The Brewer), its helped me expand my pub repertoire. Hope this helps. :wink:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• csbuceocsbuceo Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited January 2017
    Hi @csbuceo

Just want to add a couple more faves to this list - I also like Brandon's of Canonmills, The Lioness of Leith and Nobles (also in Leith). Oh and I can't go past The Roseleaf and The Regent (if you're a dog lover this one is a dream)

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    The Guildford and the Cafe Royal are both favourites of my husband - he's the beer monster in the family. I haven't eaten there recently but they used to be good. It's worth just going in to both for a drink and enjoy looking at the architecture as they are both interesting to look at.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I have a blog post on my favourite pubs in Edinburgh here - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/edinburgh-pub-guide

My favourites are The Brass Monkey (Southside one, no food) Holyrood 9a: Beer and brilliant burgers, Dagda in the Southside, and Cloisters. 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    Old favourite from when I was a student, the Greenmantle on West Cross Causeway, and it is still going strong.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Whiski Rooms on The Mound and the Whisky Bar at Amber Restaurant in the Scotch Whisky Experience.  Both have a nice chilled ambiance and good food. The Beer Kitchen on Lothian Road is also good.  It's owned by Innis & Gunn.  Away from the city centre Stockbridge has some good bars.  The food in Hamiltons and The Raeburn is nice. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    The Scotch Malt Whisky Society on Queen Street have opened to non-members. They serve good food, good beer and unparalleled whiskies. Membership includes discounts on drams and bottles. They have representation internationally now too.... Not so much a bar/pub atmosphere though. For that you could try Ghillie Dhu's on weekends they often have live bands. The food is OK, the beer is OK but the atmosphere is normally pretty spot on. 

Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk