Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Thinking of moving to Scotland

Hello all.  Because of the political climate here in America, my wife and I are considering moving to Scotland.  We have a friend who has lived near Inverness for the past few years, and he has said to at least think about moving there.  Our biggest problem is this - I am African American and my wife is white and transgender.  Do you think we will have a problem?  We wouldn't want to move from one uncomfortable environment to another.  We are both retirees, so the economics won't be a problem.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Skip B

Comments

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    First thing to consider is if you qualify for a visa.  Was one of your parents born in the UK?  If not, you need to qualify for a work visa - find a job then the employer applies for the work visa.  But these are difficult to get.  Other option, have tons of money and come here and start a business employing at least two.  

Otherwise, Scots are mostly open minded.  

I understand your desire to escape.  I'm an American who married a Scot.
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Just noticed you are retired.  Unless you move here on ancestry visa (one parent) I'm afraid you won't be able to get a visa.