Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

best route to go from Ayr in June

So glad I found this thread. Hello, My husband and I are traveling to Ayr May 29,2017 to spread my parents ashes after spending 3 nights in Fife. Ayr is were they are from. We will leave Tuesday the 30 and want to head to the Isle Of Skye and circle around back down towards Edinburgh by Friday. Need suggestions on the route and towns to see. One day for sure if not 2 in Isle of Skye. were else should we go. Also if anyone has any suggestions on excellent B&B,s along the way I would really appreciate it. We then will spend the weekend there and would like to either take the train or a flight to Dublin Monday till Friday. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. This will be our first land trip as we always cruise for our holiday so kind of a little lost . This planning stage has me going crazy. Thanks in advance Glo USA

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Nice little tour there. 

What sort of things interest you? Do you intend to hire a car, use public transport or employ a driver?
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • smileyglo4usmileyglo4u Member ✭✭
    Hello, We are renting a car, We want to see castles and scenery. Love ocean and cliffs little towns exploring . My husband does not drink and I only drink wine so not really interested in whiskey distilleries, We are pretty open to anything thats why I need help planning lol. If not nothing will be seen and we will just drive hahah. I just ordered online a big touring map to give us a better idea. Thanks for helping 
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @smileyglo4u

There is so much to see and only 3 days!! Here's my list of recommended halts enroute to Skye

Luss
    Glencoe
    Fort William for a meal (and maybe a wee walk till the falls in Glen Nevis)
    A small detour at Fort Augustus (for Loch Ness)
    Dornie for Eilean Donan castle

If you can fit in a detour, I'd highly recommend you take a detour from Fort William towards Mallaig and stop at Glenfinnan & Morar. You'll cover Eilean Donan & Loch Ness on the way back to Edinburgh.

Also on the way back, Queens view near Pitlochry, smoked salmon at Dunkeld and possibly Aviemore (larger detour).

Each and every one of the recommendations I have put up is different from the other and some spectacular sights in my opinion. And Skye has many more sights (dont miss fairy pools, glenbrittle, quiraing, fairy glen, staffin beach).

We hope you have a fantastic trip!! Feel free to ask any questions, My blog's linked below where I've blogged about almost everything mentioned above. :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    Fife to Skye, is about a 5 hour drive. Without stops to see things. 
    Skye to Ayr is a 6 hour drive, again not stopping. 

Tuesday would be almost completely consumed by getting to Skye from Fife
    Friday wouldn't have much left either! 

I'd suggest aiming a bit further south. Fort William, that sort of area. It's just as packed with scenery and history and would mean you're cutting your journey times down by at least 2 hours ish. Which opens up more time to actually get out the car and see and do things. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • smileyglo4usmileyglo4u Member ✭✭
    Thank you for both your suggestions I received our map today and will be planning. Thanks for the time line I did not realize it would be a 6 hour drive from Ayr. I am sure it will be okay though. I will look into Fort William. I am not familiar with that area. I wanted to see the fairy glen and Eilean Donan castle because of the stories my mom would tell me when I was little. Thanks for your suggestions. All are welcome
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @smileyglo4u I dont want to overhype anything but both the Fairy Glen & Eilean Donan castle do look like they are plucked out of a fairy tale. No surprise they feature in real life stories.

Fort William is a major junction town on the West Coast (and home to Ben Nevis). My detour recommendations follow the coast line going west from ft william ending at Mallaig where the normal route goes slightly to the NE before turning W.

It'll be a lot of driving but if the weather is favourable, I can promise it'll be totally worth it.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    Hi smiley, you can use google maps to get relatively good estimates on journey times as well. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk