Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Tour of Scotland with Car

DrauhutDrauhut Member
edited December 2016 in Touring and Road Trips
Hallo together, my englisch is not so good I would like to make a tour of Scotland with a Car. What is the best Tour. We will rent a Car in Scotland. B&B Hote is ok. We have 10 days holiday end of Mays. Thangs for your help

Comments

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay ✩ Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 2016

Hi @Drauhut. Renting a car is an excellent choice as you will have the freedom to drive to just about anywhere you wish. As I live and work within the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, then I can’t help but let you know all the beautiful places you can visit in this area.  Balloch, Luss,  Balmaha, Aberfoyle, Callander and Killin are just a few of the beautiful villages located within the National Park, and there are many attractions to go and see  such as breath taking views, glorious hiking routes and boat cruises on both Loch Lomond and Loch Katrine. It is possible to drive around The Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park in one day and there is a  fantastic leaflet available to pick up in all the icentres in and around the park. This leaflet details all the places to stop off and explore to get the most from your visit; scenic routes. There is also plenty of choice of hotel and B&B accommodation in this area, although it does get rather busy so best  to book ahead, this site will help you for starters; VisitScotland.

This of course is just a very small section of what Scotland has to offer, but I’m sure our fellow community followers can suggest some other great routes for you!

Hope you have a fantastic time wherever you end up&nbsp :) <3  

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Drauhut, you don't say what your interested in seeing or doing?

Let us know and we can be more specific with recommendations :smile:
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • DrauhutDrauhut Member
    edited December 2016
    What you wrote is already interesting and that is what we want.One or the other city still .... this is enough for 10 days, I think.Have me already a travel guide worried. Thank you for the Tipp.....and a happy new Year Drauhut from Germany
  • MichaThMichaTh Member

Hi Drauhut,

I'd recommend you to travel through Glencoe to Fort William, and from there take the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig. A small ferry will take you to Armadale on the Isle of Skye. From there head on to Kyle of Lochalsh via the A851 (very small road, kind of an adventure) and later the A87. 

From Kyle take the A87 and later the A887 to Invermoriston at Loch Ness. This will take you through some of the most dramatic scenery us Germans expect when visiting Scotland ;). You'll also pass Eilean Donan Castle on the A87, a very famous must-take-photo-spot (but  IMHO by far not the only on that route).

Once at Loch Ness, you might want to take the A82 towards Inverness (north), and make a stop at Drumnadrochit Castle. Fantastic place with an even better view of the Loch. I'm not so much into cities, but Inverness is quite nice and probably worth a visit. 

The drive from Inverness to Edinburgh Airport takes about four hours only (at least in theory), but if you can take the extra time visiting Cairngorm Mountain and the Cairngorm National Park is another nice treat. There are also several distilleries on route by the way ;).

I always start and end my visits in Edinburgh. The airport is way outside town, and it only takes you 15 minutes to be on your way north. Thus your first miles on the left side of the road will be on major roads, which makes it a lot easier to get accustomed to 'driving on the wrong side'.

And Edinburgh itself is a great place to visit, too. You can drop the car at the airport and take either the tram or bus to reach the city center easily.

Finally: Please be aware that such a tour as described above will easily take up several days! Depending on how much time you like to spend in the car even the whole ten days. But it would be my suggestion to someone visiting Scotland for the first time to make sure that it won't be the last. ;)

Hope this helps with your planning,

Greetings from southern Germany
    Michael

• DrauhutDrauhut Member
    Hi Michael,
    Thank you for your execution. I will follow a map and your info.
    A happy New Year....
    Detlef from Germany
  • Secret_HighlandsSecret_Highlands ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Hi @Drauhut . You seem to have a few great suggestions!  Another to consider would be to complete the NC500 route.  It's an amazing route which takes about 7 days to complete, taking your time, so you could also take in some of the other suggestions on the way up.  For example, you could go up the A82 to Inverness where North Coast 500 starts.  http://www.northcoast500.com/ will give you more information on what to expect, but I would recommend taking at least 7 days to enjoy it and explore the area around it as there are some great places both in terms of amazing views but also really interesting history if that's your thing.

My only advice that you should absolutely take is that you should book your accommodation as soon as you know where you are going as places get booked up, especially in the Highlands and Skye.

Have a great time and if I can be of any more help, just ask. :)
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • DrauhutDrauhut Member
    Thanks for the advice. We want to travel about 10 days. The with the accomodation is great, werdse, if the route is immediately what book. B & B is ok ??? Or hotel?
    Have a good time B)
  • AnnapccAnnapcc ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Hallo, I'm Anna, my husband and I are going to Scotland in June for the first time. I'm planning my trip and consulting guides and Visitscotland I've understood that there are many amazing places to visit. The choise is not easy, my concern are the roads especially those in the island of Skye and in general those from Skye to Fort William. 
    Many thanks in advance!
    Hi @Annapcc,
    where are you from? The roads are generally OK here but they will be different to what you are used to. Perhaps tours would be a way forward if you're both worried about driving.  
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
    Hi,  I'm from Italia,  we are used to driving on the right, but we are alredy been to Ireland, so we have a bit of driving experience on the left. Good roads help us driving  safely. Thank for your interest. 
  • HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭✭ Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Annapcc The quality of roads are generally good even in the remote areas of Scotland. The only thing to be mindful of is driving on single track roads with passing places, which is extremely common on Skye, etc. I find this guide on single track driving written by Islay info very handy. The drives are exceptionally beautiful, we hope you have a great time visiting Scotland.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

@ Horizons, thank you for your useful tips!
    If you've driven in Ireland you'll be fine in Scotland. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk