Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What to do near Dundee

Hiya !

Sometimes I am looking to do something near Dundee (for those days that I don't want to be driving for 4 hours) and I am running out of options!! I'm looking for places that are as much an hour from Dundee. I already visited Stonehaven, Dunnottar Castle, Glen Clova, Corrie Fee, Saint Andrews, Saint Monans and that area, Perth... I am sure that there are more interesting and unknown places to go :) any advices?? I like Nature, castles, lochs and weird places as well :)

Ta!!

Comments

• j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    @Vanessa There are some fantastic beaches along the coast.  I'm not sure if you've already been but somewhere like Lunan Bay is magnificent.

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/lunan-bay-p315721
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Recently visited Glamis Castle which isn't too far from Dundee - lovely walk through the gardens, although missed the Castle Tour but will definitely do that next time.  
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    Have you already visited the attractions in the city? I love verdant works - it's really well done and also the McManus galleries - which are free - give a good overview of the area in a magnificent building. A walk up Dundee law is worth it too. If you're more of a shopper broughty ferry is worth a look- quirky! 
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • ailsaailsa Member ✭✭
    These are both about an hour from Dundee but have you thought about Crieff? Lovely town with many attractions - the Glenturret Distillery and Famous Grouse Experience is there, as well as the Caithness Glass Visitor Centre. Scotland's oldest lending library, Innerpeffray Library, is also just a short drive away.

In another direction in Perthshire, I'd also really recommend going to The Hermitage in Dunkeld for a stroll. It's magical!
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lots of places to see on the Fife circular rail route. Dunfermline is the ancient capital of Scotland with a fantastic historic centre. Burntisland is a lovely small seaside town and in the summer has the most amazing travelling funfair. Aberdour has a great beach and a really lovely old ruined castle. Kirkcaldy also has a long beach to walk beside or if your prefer it has a really great art gallery. If you use a car instead, places like the fishing villages in the East Neuk are lovely for a visit (and you may even see the statue of the real Robinson Crusoe) or Culross with its 16th century town centre. All of these are less than an hour away and make for a nice day trip.