Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

best places to see orcas in Shetland

Hi guys!  :) 

I'll be in Scotland in February 2017 and I'll take the ferry to Shetland and stay there for about 3 days.
One of my biggest wishes is to see wild orcas and I've read that it's become quite likely to see them in Shetland over the last couple of years.
So does anybody know where the best places are? Or any tour companies that offer "orca tours"?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Denise  :)
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @denisemartinkovich, if you take a look at the Shetland website they have information about the scenery, bird life, sea mammals and beaches you can enjoy in Shetland.

Orca spotting is a little bit 'luck of the draw' but sightings have been increasingly frequent in the last few years - check out our blog post  Killer Whaler Sightings Near Shetland for more info.

If you're also planning to visit other parts of Scotland I would recommend checking out the Seaxplorer tours on the west coast as they run boat trips that offer views of wildlife such as seals, whales, otters, eagles and so on as well. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    If you're coming in and out of Aberdeen, the seals on Newburgh beach are very good to see and only a 40 minute or so drive north. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • SuleskerrySuleskerry Member ✭✭
    @denisemartinkovich If you are on Facebook there are a couple of groups/pages which post news of any orca/whale/wildlife sightings - Shetland Orca Sightings, Shetland Wildlife and Shetland Nature. I am also going to Shetland next year, but in June and hope to see some cetaceans. All of these groups/pages post up to date news on wildlife sightings. Recently there have been a few humpback whales seen in Shetland, so you never know what you might see. Good luck and I hope you are successful!