Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best golf courses in Scotland?

Scotland is known for its scenic golf courses, but where would you recommend?  

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Braemar golf course is the highest 18 hole course in Scotland, sitting at an impressive 1,200 ft above sea level. You will find wonderful mountain views a plenty here! Ballater golf course situated on the banks of the mighty River Dee is another wee gem!  :)
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Definitely not the best golf course, but one of the most entertaining, is the golf course on the Isle of Iona.  You cross fences, avoiding sheep and cows around the course and try not to hit the rocks next to the green (think it's the 11th hole) where you're right next to the beach looking out to the west of the island.  Amazing experience.  They have a local competition each year where you put your name down at the tiny post office in the village, then walk up to the golf course with your clubs and play best 9 of your 11 holes.  I've won the wooden spoon trophy twice!  
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Well if you're talking golf, you have to talk Ayrshire!!
    Lots of beautiful sea views when playing Troon, Turnberry and Prestwick

• Bonar Bridge is the most picturesque course I've played.  Although only 9 holes, the lochs, ospreys and deer you'll come across makes this a gem of a course!  Royal Dornoch has to be the best course I've played though.  A classic links course designed 1st by Old Tom Morris then extended by Donald Ross makes this a pilgrimage for many Americans.
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • Askernish Golf course in South Uist is spectacular. It's particularly worth a visit during the summer. Many celebrities have used the Golf course, including Kenny Dalgleish. 
  • There is no doubt we are spoiled for choice when it comes to golf courses in Scotland - there are nearly 600 of them!

There are many reasons to like a golf course: its history, its scenery, the design of its holes, it location, the warm welcome in the clubhouse or it might just be where you had the round of your life or scored your first hole in one.

I've not yet played all 600 (although I'm trying) but one of my favourites to date has to be Castle Stuart just outside Inverness. It has incredible views across the Moray Firth, a stunning clubhouse, is always in fantastic condition and, most importantly, it is fun and playable for any level of golfer.

Other must-plays would be: North Berwick, Machrihanish Dunes, Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch - but this can change on a weekly basis! :smile:
    Golf PR Manager
    VisitScotland

• ShintyShinty Member
    Askernish Golf course in South Uist is spectacular. It's particularly worth a visit during the summer. Many celebrities have used the Golf course, including Kenny Dalgleish. 

Couldn't agree more. Askernish is truly spectacular and the most unique links course in the world. It is today, just as Old Tom Morris had laid it out in 1891 and stands as a living museum to the craft and genius of the master himself. As a Canadian and a life member of Askernish, I cross the pond once or twice a year to remind myself what true golf is all about. I encourage golf enthusiasts to give it a go but with that comes a warning, you'll be spoiled for life....!