Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Spectacular Winter Scenery

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
Scotland is world famous for it's beautiful scenery although I think there is something just a little bit more magical about the landscape when the snow falls on the hilltops...it just looks so beautiful!

I went for a wee stroll and took this picture of Ben Lomond from Duck Bay (at the southern end of Loch Lomond) on a frosty morning and it was just stunning!

Where are your favourite places to enjoy the winter scenery?

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited November 2016

Great pic @VisitScotlandAngela! I took this photo on Braid Hills on the weekend. Such a beautiful, almost 360 view of Edinburgh up there and even better when you time it with the sun going down :) I guess this view isn't specific to winter as it would be beautiful in summer too, but in winter you get the added buzz of crunching on ice underfoot and the twinkling lights that come much earlier in the day this time of year.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Lovely day for a walk on Saturday - nice to see the snow on the hills. This was from part of the Cateran Trail near Glenisla...

• @VisitScotlandBrian I'm the same - I went my length there last year when I got distracted snapping and slipped on black ice.  Luckily I can laugh at myself.  It helps as slipping in the great outdoors is a speciality of mine.
  • HecyHecy Member ✭✭
    The Cairngorms are a must! Especially when you can explore on skis! 
  • EwanEwan Member ✭✭✭

There are some great pictures here! 

We've been lucky in having a settled weather pattern this last week, with deep snow on the hills, little wind and crystal clear air.  I climbed a couple of Corbetts from Lochearnhead last weekend and savoured superb winter walking conditions, including a fantastic cloud inversion, a fogbow and snow up to our thighs.

Lots more photos and a short video on my blog.

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Nothing better for the mind and soul than a tranquil stroll through a frosty Tentsmuir Forest :) 

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Ewan AMAZING pictures! So breathtaking, I'm jealous!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandPatriciaVisitScotlandPatricia Member, Moderator
    The road A939 from Ballater to Tomintoul has amazing winter scenery.No matter what season it is the scenery in this area is spectacular.
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I just love winter scenery!  Here is a wee selection of snowy pictures I've taken in and around Ballater and Braemar over the last few years.  <3

A snowy River Dee.

Beautiful snow scene on the River Clunie, Braemar.

Snowy River Dee with Creag Collich in the back ground, so peaceful! 

You would think this would be a cold spot for a rest! I was lucky enough to have this picture shown on the BBC Scotland website!