Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Northern Lights- December - 2 kids

hiya,
am I crazy to even consider doing a trip to Scotland end December with 2 wee ones? I absolutely want to try and see the Northern lights this December, but we are new to Europe ( from singapore ) and it's our first winter with a 11 months old and 5 3/4 yr old. 
Should we / or not? 
We are die hard nature lovers and will be happy to spend 4-5 days admiring the wonder that's Scotland :)
21 to 26 th December.
What is the best place to head to for N lights? 
What is a recommend 4-5 days itenary ? 
We will drive in from London. 
Thanks a lot!
Tanul

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭✭ Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @TanulKaps

Scotland does get Aurora displays during the winter though not as frequent or famed like the Nordic countries. I have some suggestions / practical advice for your trip but bear in mind that I've only travelled across Scotland in non-winter months.

- Get the Aurora Watch app (Android | iOS) or follow them on Twitter to get notified of significant geomagnetic activity. But do keep your eyes peeled for an Aurora regardless of what the app says :smile:

- You'll have the best chances of spotting an Aurora the more north you are. Hence I think it would be a bit too much to drive all the way up from London to the northern bases of Skye / NC 500 / Orkney / Shetland. I think it would be wiser to fly up to Inverness and hire a car.

- Winter weather in Scotland is highly unpredictable and can be harsh. Come prepared, especially for the winds.

- A suggestion for where to base yourself for this trip would be Orkney Islands. I discovered this summer that a once a year event happens inside a 5000 year old stone age tomb (Maeshowe) on Winter Solstice (which is in the middle of your dates). So even if you do not see an Aurora, there is a chance of seeing something unique and special. Contact Historic Scotland to see if there are spaces left for this year.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)