Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

When is the best time of year to visit Scotland?

Scotland has something to offer all year round but do you have a particular favourite time of year?

Is Scotland the best during the long summer days that can be spent enjoying some fresh air?

Or enjoying the amazing autumn colours?

Can you not beat a bit of snow?

Or perhaps seeing the flowers emerge puts a spring in your step!

Which is your favourite and why?

When is the best time of year to visit Scotland? 26 votes

spring
26% 7 votes
summer
30% 8 votes
autumn
30% 8 votes
winter
11% 3 votes

Comments

• KenMKenM Member ✭✭
    Although every season has its own highlights, for me the volume, variety, quality and nature of the arts and culture scene in Scotland in the summer is just fantastic.  The fact that you can experience it across the length and breadth of the country means that the opportunity to encounter something new is always just around the corner.
  • DenDen Member
    You can't argue with Autumn... A season when Scotland turns golden brown and we are entertained with the most amazing sunsets you will ever witness. The countryside becomes such a magical place! Love it!
  • RachelEWoodsRachelEWoods Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Now this was a tough one! I specifically picked Winter for a personal reason as I have a fond childhood memory of when my hometown North Berwick was covered in a thick blanket of snow. It was absolutely stunning! My friends were so excited we went to our local park to embark on the most intense, snow splattering snowball fight!

The law (big hill) to me at the time looked like a giant sugar coated Christmas pudding. Strange comparison but it's true.

If Instagram had been around when I was in school, I would have undoubtedly gone around taking so many photos of what I was experiencing and sharing it with everyone.  The Bass Rock even kept in with the winter colour scheme (all the white gannets). 

Scotland is truly enchanting when under a Wintry spell and I am hoping that we get snow coming into East Lothian this season so that I can catch some Wintry shots to share!  :)
  • ailsaailsa Member ✭✭
    I agree with RachelEWoods - that's a really tough one! There's nowhere prettier then places like Perthshire in autumn when the colours are changing, and I'm remembering why I love winter now that the Christmas markets are opening and some snow is appearing!

But I think summer pips the post - KenM is right, there's so many exciting cultural events in summer and nothing beats going up north and having it still be light at midnight!
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    I'd say summer it's a perfect time to enjoy what Scotland has to offer. Especially in June, with the longest days of the year. In ten days I'll be visiting Glasgow so I can tell you more about Scotland in autumn period :)
  • VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited November 2016
    I just had to pick Autumn. There's just something about that time of year when all the leaves are changing colour and everything is dripped in gorgeous, golden sunshine  <3 It's especially lovely if you head out towards the likes of Glen Affric or the Cairngorms National Park - Loch an Eilein is an absolute treat in Autumn!  :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    So hard to pick a favourite - each time a season is coming to an end I'm excited for what the next one has to offer. I love Spring for the beautiful cherry blossoms lining the streets, Summer for the long daylight hours we get and barbecuing in the park, Autumn for all the beautiful colours in the trees and Winter for getting cozy and festive. I tried to vote but it was too hard!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandBrianVisitScotlandBrian Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I like different seasons in different places if that makes sense. Glencoe for example for me is beautiful all year round but in the winter it is at its most majestic. Whereas I find that Autumns dappled sunshine can make many Loch side locations really shine.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    My pick is Spring, there is generally a week or two with brilliant sunshine in Spring & those are the best days to see Scotland IMO (specially after months of winters of trees with much fewer trees than normal). But it's really difficult to pick a favourite.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I always recommend May for people coming to visit.  Gorgeous flowers, a chance of nice weather.