Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best place to celebrate New Year's Eve

hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, I was just wondering what events are on in Scotland on New Year's Eve (preferably in Fife and Edinburgh) I normally like to celebrate it at a main square or Main Street but I would greatly appreciate any mother suggestions 

Best Answers

• HecyHecy Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hogmanay street party in the centre of Edinbrugh 

Answers

• Thank you for you suggestions great help cheers 
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Slightly outwith your location but I think the Hogmanay Celebrations in Comrie here in Perthshire are fun.  On the stroke of midnight they light the Flambeaux - which are birch tree poles wrapped in hessian which have been soaked in flammable liquid. The strong men of the village walk them around the village boundaries to chase out all the bad spirits accompanied by the pipe band and various people in fancy dress. The village square is usually packed with locals and visitors coming to view the spectacle.
    http://www.comrie.org.uk/business-directory/125/comrie-flambeaux/
  • SkyeSkye Member
    Definitely Comrie. Fantastic night. Very atmospheric.
  • VisitScotlandAldonaVisitScotlandAldona Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Owenandrew Not exactly a suggestion for New Year's Eve, but I thought that you might enjoy the torch procession even that takes place in Edinburgh on 30th December? It's part of the Hogmanay celebrations. Thousands of torch-bearers join the Up Helly Aa’s Vikings, pipes and drums and march through the heart of Edinburgh with flaming torches - it's quite a spectacle to watch and to be part of!

‘I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list’ - Susan Sontag

• Stonehaven is a great night and worth the effort @Owenandrew.  the best free party is probably Inverness.  Both further North than you'd prefer but we'll worth it!!
    www.secrethighlands.com