Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Vote: What is your favourite Scottish bridge?

VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Though bridges are usually built for function, many take such a beautiful form. We've put together a list of some of Scotland's most iconic bridges and we want to know which bridge is your favourite - vote now!

Vote: What is your favourite Scottish bridge? 54 votes

Clachan Bridge (The Bridge Over the Atlantic)
5% 3 votes
Forth Bridge
31% 17 votes
Glenfinnan Viaduct
31% 17 votes
Brig o'Doon
5% 3 votes
Clyde Bridge (The Squinty Bridge)
1% 1 vote
Other (please make your case below!)
24% 13 votes
I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?

Comments

• KatKat Member ✭✭
    I've got a soft spot for Kylesku bridge in the North West Highlands. Fits in beautifully with the stunning surroundings. 
  • seafari1seafari1 Member ✭✭
    Has to be Clachan Bridge - The Bridge over the Atlantic ! ..... but we may be a wee bit biased !

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Yes @seafari1 it is very close to you! So pretty with the purple flowers  <3
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I'm going to put up a controversial choice as my pick, the Glenlivet packhorse bridge. I love old stone bridges that are not in use (want to see Carrbridge one day) and I particularly like this one as nature is reclaiming it. 

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Horizons the packhorse bridges are so picturesque! They definitely made the long list. Love the pic, so lush and green  <3
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Kat said:
    I've got a soft spot for Kylesku bridge in the North West Highlands. Fits in beautifully with the stunning surroundings. 
    Gotta to agree with you Kat - love that bridge, sweeping across on the Harley then you just have to stop to take in the view.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    My favourite bridge in Scotland is the Brig o'Balgownie in Old Aberdeen.  It's a beautiful Gothic styled bridge with an impressive arch built out of granite and sandstone.  What's mind-blowing is that the bridge was finished back in 1320 under the instruction of Robert the Bruce...just imagine how many people have used the bridge in the last 600 or so years and enjoyed the views down the Don!!!

Love the autumn colours in the Carrbridge one @Samantha_Grant
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandMiriam one of my favourite is the elegant and very photogenic Leaderfoot viaduct in the Scottish Borders 

I love that one too @ElaineR ! I went fishing there and it was so peaceful. If you want to know a wee bit more about the bridge, and other Scottish bridges, then take a look at our blog on iconic bridges.

• MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    @ElaineR I totally agree.  Leaderfoot is one of my favourite spots in all the world.  It means "home" to me and I'd love to walk across it someday (only very rarely is this allowed)

Great pictures of it by many local photographers including this one:

Love the doggies by the way!
    Admin - that's 3 votes for Leaderfoot :) I promise I hadn't read the above before I thought to post my view!
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
    That is a lovely shot @Scathach ! Will bear it mind when I visit.
  • GK95GK95 Member
    I'd vote for General Wade's Bridge in Aberfeldy (aka The Tay Bridge) from having visited or passed through Aberfeldy a few times!
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    I voted for Rumbling Bridge near Crook of Devon,  nestling under the Ochil Hills. It's very  unusual double bridge as you can see! The lower bridge was built in 1713 (available for pedestrians only) and the upper in 1816. Still it's in working condition  :) 

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
  • FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭

I would say that my favourite bridge in Scotland is the Tay Rail Bridge, between the City of Dundee and the Kingdom of Fife! 

It is the longest rail bridge in Europe and replaced an earlier incarnation that was unfortunately destroyed in a raging storm in the late 19th Century.  It is just superb  to travel over by the train. The views of Dundee are inspiring and the light reflections you get on the River Tay are pretty special too! 

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    At the other end of the rail line through Fife, the Forth Bridge, an amazing feat of engineering.
  • LincolnLincoln Member
    I visited Scotland 2016 and specifically Glennfinnian Viaduct.  As you can guess, it was raining and people every where.  I had come to photograph the train passing over, but did not know the BEST location to do so, ending up with wet boggy feet and NOT the best spot to take my photographs!!...not happy Jan!! (I searched extensively on the net for this info, but to no avail).
    A prominent sign and directions would have been wonderful and saved much grief. How about it Scotland!!!