Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scottish Halloween Traditions

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited November 2016 in Understanding Scotland
When I was wee I never had a pumpkin to carve at Halloween.  I did however have a rock hard neep - or turnip - that I spent many hours trying to scoop away at the solid interior for my mum to put in her broth.  Many spoons were bent in the process but I always had so much fun making my lantern.   :D

I like to keep the tradition alive and every year carve out a neep....

What are your Halloween Traditions?  Do you light a bonfire to ward off evil spirits, or do you dook for apples each year?

I would also love to see your lanterns!!!  :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    That familiar smell at neep carving time takes me back to my childhood and especially the smell of the candle inside a roughly carved neep.
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Oh yes...the smell! There is nothing quite like it! I used to love Dookin' for Apples...did anyone else do the version that you had to drop a fork from your mouth and try to spear the apple?
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Pumpkins do seem to be taking over! But we also prefer neeps! Here is how we explian what neeps are! http://must-see-scotland.com/what-are-neeps/

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com

• VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Fofoma said:
    Oh yes...the smell! There is nothing quite like it! I used to love Dookin' for Apples...did anyone else do the version that you had to drop a fork from your mouth and try to spear the apple?
    I remember doing this @Fofoma!! Now, you're taking me back......