Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What is your favourite city in Scotland?

2»

Comments

• Edinburgh
    Edinburgh steal's my heart every time! Such varied landscapes and views all waiting to be discovered as you amble down cobbled streets in the Old Town and marvel the Georgian grandeur of the New Town.  For photography lovers, make the most of the Golden Hour just before sunrise, head up Arthur's Seat and set up a shot for a fantastic panoramic view of this most splendid of cities.
  • ClairetyClairety Member
    Glasgow
    It has to be Glasgow for me! Edinburgh has the Castle, architecture,and the Festival, but Glasgow is special!
    From the Goma, the Lighthouse, The Burrell, Kelvingrove and the Riverside, Glasgow has art and culture covered.
    From Rennie Macintosh to Alexander Greek Thomson, the architecture and buildings are quite fantastic. 
    I'm biased though, I live 6 miles from the City centre!
  • FalkirkBairnFalkirkBairn Member
    Edinburgh
    Born and raised in Falkirk I spent a lot of time in Edinburgh and must say there are many happy memories there which make this my favorite city.  Nowhere I've been since can you be walking along the Main Street of shops (Princes street) and look over and see the beautiful gardens and a castle! 
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Edinburgh steal's my heart every time! Such varied landscapes and views all waiting to be discovered as you amble down cobbled streets in the Old Town and marvel the Georgian grandeur of the New Town.  For photography lovers, make the most of the Golden Hour just before sunrise, head up Arthur's Seat and set up a shot for a fantastic panoramic view of this most splendid of cities.
    I am definately going to have a go at Arthur's seat the next time I visit Edinburgh! I was at the Garden party at Holyrood recently and there were lots of people up there enjoying the view. I love photography so the Golden hour would be brilliant! Thanks for these tips! Sarah  :)
  • bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    Edinburgh
    Big fan of both Edinburgh and Glasgow - just 50 minutes apart by train and both amazing cultural, shopping and tourism centres.
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Edinburgh
    Edinburgh, with Glasgow coming a close second!
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow....no wait, Edinburgh....no wait....Glasgow....och a bit of both!
  • VisitScotlandIanVisitScotlandIan Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Inverness
    I may be somewhat biased but I have to mention Inverness!  Not only do we have a fascinating museum but Inverness has what I think is the most beautiful river walk in the country. St Andrews Cathedral is well worth a visit as are the botanical gardens. Inverness is close to Cawdor Castle which has been home to the Thanes of Cawdor for over 600 years, Culloden Battlefield which is the site of the last battle on British soil and Fort George, the largest functioning military fort in Europe.  You can't really talk about Inverness without mentioning Loch Ness which of course is famous for Nessie, The Loch Ness Monster but the Loch itself is a beautiful place.  I would suggest driving right round seeing some very rugged country on the south side.  The Loch is very deep and it contains more fresh water than all the lakes of England and Wales combined... that's deep!

• jegsterjegster Member
    Dundee
    test
  • jegsterjegster Member
    Dundee
    Big fan of all 7 cities as the all have different things to offer. Although perhaps a wee special mention to Dundee given the wonderful transformation that is going on at the waterfront. If you haven't been to Dundee in a while I highly recommend a wee visit you won't recognize the place, especially along the waterfront.
  • nettie101nettie101 Member ✭✭
    Glasgow
    Glasgow, it's such a friendly city with so much to do, and such a varied variety of places to eat 

• VanessaVanessa Member ✭✭
    Stirling
    Saint Monans! I just love it, been there 5 or 6 times, it is just so amazing :) There are so many nice villages nearby as well :)

• Edinburgh
    Born and raised in Falkirk, so grew up less than 25 miles from Edinburgh, Glasgow & Stirling. Love them all but live in Edinburgh, so it does take the top spot for me. I was a student in Dundee, which I also loved. It wins the most improved city,  I think. 
  • FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭
    Dundee
    Born and bred Dundonian so the City of Dundee is my top pick! It arguably has one of the best natural locations of any Scottish city, located on the banks of the River Tay, the longest river in Scotland. The changes taking place in the city are simply astounding. It is a UNESCO City of Design and in 2018 the V&A Dundee will open to showcase Scottish design and inspire the next generation of designers and innovators!

So much going on in the city at the moment and for a compact city, it fairly packs in the attractions! The Dundee Contemporary Arts (DCA) has a fantastic atmosphere with exhibitions throughout the year, plus a buzzing cafe and bar! In 2016 it was voted (along with Dundee Rep Theatre) as one of Scotland's favourite buildings in the past century! Great to see these buildings recognised. They have both been catalysts for Dundee's regeneration!

So much on offer currently and with all the changes, the city is going to go from strength to strength!  :)
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    Glasgow
    Although I live in Aberdeen... Glasgow is my favourite city in Scotland.
2»