Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Outlander locations in Fife

FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
The hit TV series Outlander used several filming locations in Fife, including Culross, Aberdour Castle and the village of Falkland.
Falkland is the perfect day out for Outlander fans. You can visit the French Renaissance palace where James V died and Mary Queen of Scots played, you can even see the oldest real tennis court in the world. There is some lovely cafes too, I can highly recommend an afternoon tea at Miss Daisy's! 
Standing in for 1945 Inverness, you can stand next to the impressive fountain where the ghost of Jamie stood looking up at Claire in the B+B. You can have a cuppa in the B+B itself, which is actually named the Covenanters Hotel. The beautiful little gift shop, Fayre Earth, was given a 1940's facelift and renamed Farrell's general store. This is where Claire longed to own the famous blue vase. Campbell's Coffee shop actually kept it's new name and is another great place for a bite to eat. 
Falkland is high on my list of prettiest villages. It's always so colourful in the summer and the buildings ooze a deep and fascinating history. Look out for the tiny original doors on the cottages and the thatched roofs. Have you visited any of
Fife's Outlander locations yet?

Nicola Holland
Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
You can follow me here
Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram

Comments

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @FunkyEllas_Travel @Samantha_Grant parts of the pretty town of Culross featured memorably in series 1 - the gardens at Culross Palace (above) stood in for Claire's herb garden at Castle Leoch, and the Mercat area of Culross (below) became the village of Cranesmuir, home to the gorgeous Geillis Duncan and her not so gorgeous husband Arthur 

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I loved touring the locations used for outlander earlier this year! The settings were perfect for the drama and was cool to see them in the series afterwards :) 

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • IngridIngrid Member
    Thank you for the lovely pictures which have served to make us even more excited about our upcoming Scotish holiday in the company of our Outlander books!
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I saw the village of Culross (Cranesmuir) this summer.  What an utterly charming village!  I would so love to go to where they are filming sometime.  I learned too late that the hospital in France was actually Glasgow Cathedral!  
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @FunkyEllas_Travel  @Samantha_Grant  @ElaineR  @argyllgirl  @Ingrid  @Lochgmarcp

I finally got to visit Culross and Falkland! My fiance and I travelled yesterday for a day trip and spent most of the day in Culross exploring.

We visited the Pier, Abbey, Palace and herbal garden. What a beautiful Palace and bigger inside than I thought it would be. I'm so glad the National Trust for Scotland has saved this building and the many others in the village. Loved all the four poster beds!

The flowers in the herbal garden were fading a bit as it was September, but the apples on the trees were huge and looked delicious! A few wee photos:

Culross Palace Garden - look at those apples!

Outlander - Claire and Geillis walked through here - with Angus in tow 

The quiet pretty streets

Culross Abbey Ruin 

The National Trust for Scotland shop in Culross encouraged me to take part in this this one ... ;)

The Culross Pier - there was a sign saying "Help put stones on to the old pier. This will help us as we rebuild the pier."

Falkland - it had to be done - the ghost of Jamie pose

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @DMWScotland So glad you managed to visit.  It's such a gorgeous wee town and steeped in history. One of my favourites. Love the photos. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Fife does well on the Outlander front no doubt! Culross is my favourite as it's just got to be the definition of quaint, but Falkland is right up there too. For those looking to go a little further afield, here's my top Outlander location pics so far.

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Ive got a whole section devoted to outlander on my blog http://bit.ly/1ONj391 We certainly have some fantastic locations here. Can't wait to see where they film next....
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • VisitScotlandAldonaVisitScotlandAldona Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @FunkyEllas_Travel @Samantha_Grant @ElaineR @argyllgirl @Ingrid @Lochgmarcp @travelswithakilt @DMWScotland

The two-masted sailing lugger that carries Claire and Jamie to France is also based in Fife! The ship is called The Reaper and she is berthed at the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther. The scene itself was shot at Dysart Harbour. It's possible to access the ship but this needs to be arranged in advanced.

When you're in Anstruther, make sure you try the famous fish & chips from Anstruther Fish Bar - it's to die for! 
    Dysart Harbour © Sony Pictures Television 2014
    The Reaper @ Scottish Fisheries Museum Trust

‘I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list’ - Susan Sontag

• VisitScotlandAldonaVisitScotlandAldona Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I forgot to add that Dysart Harbour stood in in the TV series for the French port of Le Havre in the 1740s where Jamie and Claire land when they escape to France. There are lots of motor boats and yachts all out and on the piers - it's quite a vibrant busy harbour, well worth a visit! 

Thanks @VisitScotlandAldona! I might be heading up to Fife tomorrow, I'd love to see the Reaper! :)
    @DMWScotland The boat was blown over by high winds at a fishing festival in Aberdeenshire in August, but it's been repaired and re-floated recently. I've seen her once but not recently and have not been on board - I'm a bit a tall ship geek so hope to tour it one day! Enjoy your day out in Fife tomorrow!  :)

Thanks @VisitScotlandAldona. Going back to Culross to see the places I missed the last time! West Kirk (Black Kirk),  then Dysart Harbour and hopefully Anstruther now too :).
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed forget Jamie and Outlander - nothing beats the chips in Anstruther.  Plus I have my very own Highlander at home.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Sounds great @DMWScotland. On your way from Culross to Anstruther or generally when going in that direction, you can take a small detour and visit the coastal town of Limekilns, just about eight miles east off Culross. It dates back to 14th century and is in quite similar style to Culross but has maybe a bit more modern feel. If I'm not mistaken one of the old kilns was used as cave in the Outlander filming and the town provided a backdrop to a few scenes. I don't have any pictures of Limekilns at hand now, but will try to post some on Monday :) 

@Samantha_Grant - completely agree! My favourite from them must be grilled smoked mackerel supper - the fish was simply melting in my mouth, outstanding! Oh, now this conversation made me crave fish & chips - think I've got tomorrow's lunch sorted! ;) 

Greetings to all!

@Samantha_Grant @VisitScotlandAldona sorry to say I never got my fish and chips at Anstruthers :(. I was disappointed but we will go back again on a nicer day. The weather was dreich but we did walk up to the ruins of the West Kirk in Culross (Outlander's Black Kirk).

I loved the feel of the place, it felt so peaceful. You can see how nature really takes over.