Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Scottish Nature Reserves

VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited October 2016 in Scotland's countryside
Scotland has a rich diversity of landscapes from Caledonian pine forest to remote mountain glens. Thus it is a haven for native wildlife and a nature lovers paradise!  One of my favourite nature reserves is RSPB Sumburgh Head in Shetland where you can view our beautiful puffins at close range along the sea cliffs. Local to my home village of Ballater is the wonderful Mar Lodge Estate which is a hot spot for Red deer, Red Squirrels and many birds of prey.

Where are your local wildlife hot spots and favourite Nature Reserves?   

Puffin at RSPB Sumburgh Head nature reserve on Shetland.

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    On my way to Gairloch many years ago with my husband and kids, we stopped at Ben Eighe Nature Reserve which was one of Britain's first National Nature Reserves. We stopped at the Visitor Centre just outside Kinlochewe and took a short walk through the woodlands. Ben Eighe Nature Reserve borders the southern tip of Loch Maree which, for me, is one of the most beautiful lochs in Scotland. 
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandMuriel , a great recommendation. I've always wanted to go to Ben Eighe, will add it to the bucket list! :)
    Muir of Dinnet Nature Reserve is another lovely reserve, just a few miles East of Ballater. There is a great walk around  Loch Kinord which is a good spot for interesting ducks and waders and we even spotted an otter there a few years ago! Also, about a 15 min walk from the visitor centre is a lovely waterfall called the Burn O' Vat.  :)
  • [Deleted Content]
    edited October 2016
    Beautiful photos @Samantha_Grant! Killin is another place I've never been, I shall add it to the list!  :)

• [Deleted Content]
    @Scathach, lovely photos! I've been to St Cyrus and I agree it is a great spot! Forvie is on my list, I've no excuse really as it isn't far from me as the crow flies!  :)