Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland's 2017 Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology

From World Heritage Sites to ancient monuments, cultural traditions to our myths, stories and legends - Scotland is gearing up for a year-long celebration of its history, heritage and archaeology during 2017.

What's your favourite Scottish historical landmark or do you prefer to seek out a treasured hidden gem?   What's on your list of things to see and do in Scotland linked with the themes?

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I would like to visit the Callanais Standing Stones someday. I like all the standing stones. They are so mysterious, upright and steadfast. I love ancient dwellings, brochs and settlements. My imagination was truly captured by a visit to some in Shetland as a child. It feels like time travelling when you step into these environments.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Callanais is a spectacular site. You'll love it.  Harris, Lewis & Scalpay are beautiful. So much history. @VisitScotlandJulie

As a history geek too many favourites to choose from but the Callanais Stones, Hill o many stanes, Carn Liath Broch and Dunadd Hillfort are amongst my favourites.  In March 2017 we're exploring the historical delights of Orkney then April Portmahomack, another hugely significant historical site. Can't wait. @Chelsea
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• MarieCMarieC Member
    I'm really looking forward to the programme for Edinburgh's Festivals in 2017.  The Festivals will celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Edinburgh as a World Festival City during the Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology - the Festivals are such a strong part of our cultural heritage, what better year to visit. 
  • I absolutely must take a trip to Orkney and Shetland next year. I've lived in Scotland most of my life and I have never been up there! I'd love to see Skara Brae, the Neolithic settlement (can you believe it's more than 5000 years old?!) which is also part of the World Heritage Site. But I'd especially like to visit Unst In Shetland, the most northerly island lived on in the UK. There is so much stunning, natural beauty to see but I'm completely fascinated by the many Viking sites you can explore there too, such as the remains of ancient longhouses. Shetland is also home to the annual festival, 'Up Helly Aa', which originated in the 1800's. It would be so fascinating to watch the procession (although I believe you need to have lived on Shetland for 5 years to participate - a real local's celebration)  :)
  • HoggHogg Member
    A real hidden gem would be the sites around Scotland reflecting Hutton's Unconformity. The Scottish geologist James Hutton formed his theory by examining Scotland's geology and discovered how land around the world was formed, and how much older it was than initially thought - another great example of Scottish people shaping the world (even though he wasn't actually taking credit for shaping it with his own hands!) and something which links Scotland to the history of Earth. Siccar Point on the coast of the Scottish Borders is the best example of the formation, and there is a monument dedicated to his theory in Jedburgh.  
  • AlbrenAlbren Member
    Peterhead Prison Museum and exciting insight to how life was inside Scotland's most notorious prison and scene of the 1987 SAS raid to end a 4 day siege where an officer was held hostage on the roof top of D Hall some 60' up.

If you have not been yet it is worth a visit and you can follow their development on their website or Facebook Page.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    How about a visit to the tiny hamlet of Balquhidder? Here in the quaint church yard you will find the graves of  Rob Roy MacGregor and his wife and sons. This area of Strathyre, Inversnaid and Balquhidder is steeped in history of this Scottish legend. 
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I've been many times, but I always recommend Kilmartin Glen to those who enjoy megalithic sites:
    http://www.kilmartin.org/
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Adding a link for Kilmartin:
    http://www.kilmartin.org/monuments.html