Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Location for Village Hogmanay Ceilidh - Borders/Dumfries area

Good morning all,

I'd really appreciate some suggestions about where to spend Hogmanay this year. We will be a group of twelve who will be hiring a house for the weekend, and are looking for a village location in the Borders/Dumfries & Galloway area.

My husband and I spent a wonderful New Years in Grantown-on-Spey a few years back with a meal at a local hotel (haggis, piping etc!) following by fireworks and a open air ceilidh in the village square. We'd love to recreate this somewhere a bit further south as the Caingorms are unfortunately a bit too far for a weekend trip from Yorkshire. I'm struggling however to find anywhere suitable.

I know many people on this site have recommended Edinburgh - we are looking for (a) somewhere a bit smaller and (b) something a bit cheaper than £47.50 a ticket; any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly received.  

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Hi @JennyBracks there's not much in the way of arranged partys in the Borders however having said that many of the towns have gatherings to see the bells in. Selkirk, Galashiels and Melrose all have parties in their squares or near the town clock. Melrose i would recomend. If you are in fine fettle New Years Day pop to St.Boswells cricket club for the New Years day charity cricket match. Don't expect top notch cricket but you may well see the odd Santa keeping wicket or Kilted  cricketers.