Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Argyll & Isles - Suggestions for visiting area

I've heard great things about this region in Scotland - is there any particular recommendations of specific areas to visit? I enjoy walks, always love a walk where you get a gorgeous view at the end! 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    [Deleted Content]
  • Kirst1709Kirst1709 Member ✭✭
    I definitely agree with all of the above. Stop in and stay in Tarbert, Loch Fyne - a great hub for visiting the islands previously mentioned, with a lively community, nice restaurants etc, and a lovely little ruined castle to boot!

It's also the starting point for the Kintyre Way...you can do it in sections, and having completed the first one, nothing would be more rewarding than the view across to Arran from Skipness castle! What's more, there's a lovely seafood cabin there too, so you can enjoy the view over a nice lunch ;)

Also Kilmartin Glen is a great option. Steeped in history, with a fantastic museum in the village of Kilmartin itself, you can walk the glen passing standing stones and cairns, and even climb a Pictish fort (Dunadd). 

The Crinan Canal is nearby, and there are plenty walks in Knapdale (where you may be lucky enough to spot a beaver!), and in Achnabreac - a prehistoric site of 'cup and ring' marks. Forestry Commission Scotland produce a really good brochure on all these walks, including maps, which you can pick up in a local visitor centre.
  • VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    Hi @HeatherWroughton ;

Even the drive into Argyll is fabulous. From Glasgow you travel up the sides of Loch Lomond, then up over the "Rest and be thankful", named because people used to make the journey on foot or horseback, and needed a breather at the top.

Then, down the other side the road snakes along loch Fyne - Inverary pictured below with the ship in the harbour. I took these from the car as my brother and I were travelling home for Christmas last year. In winter the light can be spectacular.

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I've been all over Argyll as I live there and highly recommend it.  Besides the islands I recommend Kilmartin Glen, the biggest concentration of megalithic sites in Scotland.  It's a pretty  and peaceful area packed with the feeling of ancient peoples.  

You'll need to Google it as I can't post links because my membership is too new. 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @HeatherWroughton For great views,  I like the Dun na cuaiche walk at Inverary - here's a link 

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/dun-na-cuaiche.shtml