Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scottish Sightseeing for the Disabled.

I am planning to return to Scotland for the first time in many years, to attend a School Reunion, but wish to incorporate a sightseeing tour, firstly heading up the east coast to Aberdeen and across to Inverness. From  there across to the west coast, Fort William?, and back down as far as Dumfries. Can anyone please point me in the right direction for suitable places to go (out of town) which have wheelchair access. I am particularily interested in possible countryside walks which may have pathways suitable for wheelchairs. My main aim is to be able to take wildlife and scenic photographs, weather permitting.

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Snoops27
    Take a look at the following website which offers a range of accessible walks throughout the uk - http://walkswithwheelchairs.com/index.php. You can even add one yourself if you come across a new one. You could also try Euan's guide which is written by disabled people for disabled people. I hope you enjoy your school reunion and that you have a great time in Scotland! Please don't hesitate to use the network of Infomation Centres - iCentres - around the country where staff will be delighted to help and share their local knowledge.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest Loch Katrine pier. There's a wonderful private road around the side of Loch Katrine which would be suitable for a wheelchair user.  It stretches for miles and gets virtually no traffic as it's only open to residents and service vehicles.  The scenery is stunning and you'll get loads of fab photos.  You could also take a tour on the fabulous old steamship the Sir Walter Scott which leaves from the pier.  It's also wheelchair accessible and will allow you to get some shots from the loch. It's beautiful. It also serves refreshments. @Snoops27

I've written a couple of blogs about this area which you may find useful. 

Let’s celebrate with a tripe filled bone – Scotland with the Wee White Dug
    The most beautiful day of my life – Scotland with the Wee White Dug

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Snoops27Snoops27 Member
    Hi Samantha, thank you so much for taking the time to aswer my query re accessibility for wheelchairs and places to go to get some great photographs. Your images of Loch Katrine look so wonderful I'm already excited about going. I'm just about to check out your blog, but wanted to thank you immediately for your kind help. Kind regards, Alan.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Snoops27 You're welcome. I know you'll love it. Remember to share your photos with us. Looking forward to seeing them.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭
    RSPB reserves will try and ensure everyone has the chance to spot wildlife and enjoy being out in nature.  It is worth checking out what they have to offer.  Lochwinnoch (near Glasgow), Loch Leven (Perth and Kinross), Loch Garten (Cairngorms) and Mersehead (Dumfries and Galloway) would all be willing to chat through options for their reserves.
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    For the Dumfries area there are great facilities at Threave Esatate. There is an excellent all ability trail just down the road from Threave House near Castle Douglas. It passes through farmland down to the River Dee where it gives magnificent views across the river to Threave Castle. 

There is also a lovely tea room in the grounds of Threave Gardens with an outdoor seating area which overlooks the gardens, blissful on a sunny day!  :)

http://www.disabledholidayinfo.org.uk/search/searchdetail.cfm?EstID=634

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Threave-Garden-and-Estate