Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Coastal Towns

johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Scotland's cities and towns
Rough Guides latest top 30 "Best Seaside Towns" features 6 stunning Scottish Coastal locations. 

Portree, Stromness, Plockton/Ross/Cromarty, Gardenstown and then the next two are very interesting for me. My hometown Pittenweem and Lochinver. My mum's uncle and Auntie moved from Pittenweem to Lochinver and were often between the two so great to have associations with both. 

For me, Plockton is a an absolute gem of a location and had a wonderful meal at Plockton shores a while back. 

http://www.roughguides.com/special-features/britains-30-best-seaside-towns/
Tagged:

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Tobermory on the Isle of Mull is my favourite wee coastal town, I adore it. I think it far outshines Portree.  

Pittenweem is gorgeous. I love the Fife coastal towns. Plockton is stunning too. Such a lovely spot and the palm trees are so pretty. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Couple of Pittenweem shots + 1 St Monans Windmill :smile:

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Pittenween looks beautiful @John_WelcometoFife. Beautiful photos!

I'll need to fit this in when I visit Fife. I was supposed to be visiting on Saturday, but I had to postpone :(. After a 14 mile walk around the Isle of Cumbrae the day before my legs weren't up to it lol. But this is okay as now I can add Pittenween to my visit :).
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    Great stuff @DMWScotland :smile: 

Don't forget to visit The Cocoa Tree on the high street :) 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @DMWScotland @John_WelcometoFife St Abbs in the Scottish Borders is a beautiful Wee coastal village, full of character and with great scuba diving opportunities

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Wow @ElaineR, it does look so pretty! The water looks very inviting, but it'll be cold I bet without a wet suit. Thanks for the recommendation! :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    edited July 2016
    Would second the St Abbs recommendation too. It's a gorgeous little town.  The cliff walk to the lighthouse in the National Nature Reserve is beautiful and the wee NTS cafe there by the car park does great coffee and scones.  By the harbour Ebbcarrs Cafe is wonderful. Well worth a visit.  The wee bronze statue commemorating the women & children affected by the East Coast Fishing Disaster of 1881 is heartbreaking. 

I think Portpatrick in Dumfries & Galloway is another great little harbour town.  I love the walk along dramatic coastline to Dunskey Castle. One of my favourite ruins. 

I should add Nairn too as it's my hubby's hometown and they've given this Lowland Scot honorary Highlander status. The beach and harbour area are very pretty.  It's also a great base for exploring Clava Cairns, Fort George and Culloden plus further afield. 

I love coastal towns and we have a choice of so many wonderful ones here in Scotland. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

@DMWScotland ;@Samantha_Grant We visited Seacliff recently - it's absolutely lovely - great views of Tantallon Castle, the Bass Rock and St Baldred's Boat, and the tiny man made harbour is a gem.

edited July 2016
    St Baldred is everywhere down that neck of the woods.  He has a wee cave in the carpark at Seacliff too and a chapel on the Bass Rock.  St Baldred's Cradel nearby is another lovely spot. 

The Smiddy in the village is definitely worth a visit for lunch if you have the dogs.  Only in fair weather though as they're not allowed inside.  In winter we'll normally eat at the Clubhouse in Gullane instead. @DMWScotland @ElaineR

St Baldred is everywhere down that neck of the woods.  He has a wee cave in the carpark at Seacliff too and a chapel on the Bass Rock.  St Baldred's Cradel nearby is another lovely spot. 

The Smiddy in the village is definitely worth a visit for lunch if you have the dogs.  Only in fair weather though as they're not allowed inside.  In winter we'll normally eat at the Clubhouse in Gullane instead. @DMWScotland @ElaineR

Thanks for the tip about the Clubhouse at Gullane @Samantha_Grant ;
    Some pics from Pittenweem a couple of nights ago :smile:

• TallulahTallulah Member
    How about the traditional seaside towns on the Firth of Clyde - sailed "doon the water" this week on Waverley from Glasgow to Largs, Had a great time and off course had to go to Nardinis for Fish and Chips and ice cream!