Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Trip suggestion

Hi Folks, am planning a visit to scotland for about 12 days (17th - 29th Aug) with family (2+1).To- from Glasgow
Any thoughts on what "must do/cant miss places".

Comments

• Hi @sraj, if you're visiting in August then you definitely need to make a trip to Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival. It runs throughout August and there are a huge amount of shows on. Even if you don't fancy going to a show, the atmosphere in the city alone is great! 

I would also recommend visiting Loch Ness and/or Loch Lomond for spectacular views. There are boat trips you can take too, for example at Loch Ness. (and keep an eye out for the Loch Ness Monster!) Loch Lomond is closer to Glasgow if you aren't wanting to travel too far. I've heard that Balmaha at Loch Lomond is a particularly pretty spot. 

There are also lots of amazing islands and beaches around Scotland. Have a browse of the Community to learn more about the islands, and there is a long thread here which discusses the best beaches - worth a read! 

Hope this helps. I'm sure more people will be able to provide other great recommendations too.   
  • Mark1966Mark1966 Member
    Totally agree about Loch Lomond..close to Glasgow and very accessible. Loch Lomond shores is a great day out. If your feeling energetic and it's a good day go to Balmaha and walk a little of the West Highland way or you could climb Conic Hill..theres a car park right at the foot of the hill and the view is something special. After you come down pop across the road to the Oak Tree Inn for the most delicious bar meals..kid's are welcome too. Stirling is close too with lots of attractions. Enjoy
  • srajsraj Member
    Thanks folks, will def keep in mind.. plan is to cover aberdeen,Inverness,skye,Oban,Glasgow and Edinburgh..
    with a couple of days in each.
    Anything not to miss please let me know. 
  • TartanLightTartanLight Member ✭✭
    We've visited Oban a couple of times en route to explore the Scottish Islands and would definitely recommend a trip to the Oban Chocolate Company on the seafront for delicious treats.  Go hungry though as the chocolate is amazing, and there are plenty of ideas for gifts to take home.  

If you like seafood, you'll also find there are some fabulous places to visit from fresh shellfish at the shack on the harbour to fish and chip teas to the full seafood dining experience at Ee-usk.
  • TartanLightTartanLight Member ✭✭
    In Edinburgh, as August is so busy with all the Festival and Fringe events, it's important to ensure that you don't end up just trailing the streets unsure of things to do or see.  Would recommend coming without a car (train or bus from Glasgow may be an option?) and walking, but make sure you have a plan.  Think about the things your family enjoy and then post a question or two here and the community will be able to help with ideas.  A personal favourite is the Edinburgh Art Festival, but there is plenty going on in the central Royal Mile (High Street) to give you a flavour for shows you might like to see.  The National Museum of Scotland has lots to entertain the whole family and is a good option if it's showery.  The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a great show every evening except Sundays on the Castle Esplanade. You can sometimes pick up last-minute tickets for the evening's performance by queuing at the Tattoo Ticket Office at 10.00 am.
  • HecyHecy Member ✭✭
    Make sure you drive through Glencoe! A drive you'll never ever forget.
  • NannyJeepNannyJeep Member
    Hiya All, 
    I have just joined your lovely community as used to libe I'm Scot land as a child  (Cupar in Fife as well as Glenrothes when it really was a "new town" lol. My grandmother used to live in East Kilbride and I spent many a summer with her driving in her little Renault 5 to Loch Lomond, Troon, Ayr and many a shopping trip down Princess Street in Glasgow and Edinburgh oh the memories