Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Is it possible to walk sections of the North Coast 500?

I am planning a trip on the North Coast 500 route from Thurso to Ullapool and am looking to use local buses to get around. I was considering walking sections of the route as well but not sure if its advisable. Are there any parts of the route that it might be safe to use the road network to walk on?

Answers

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hello @dome99. I checked the North Coast 500 website and yes you can walk the route! It would be a brilliant way to explore Scotland! Find out more on their website http://www.northcoast500.com/frequently-asked-questions.aspx. I'm going to have a wee nosy too! Have fun planning :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful route.  The section from Ullapool to Durness has a reasonable amount of settlements along it so you could feasibly do small chunks of it on foot. The north section from Durness towards Thurso is less populated and more rugged so you could find yourself having to walk a fair distance.  The road can be quite narrow and winding in parts and is popular with people who hire supercars and drive motorbikes, especially in Summer so I'd exercise caution and probably not recommend walking on it.  Maybe stick to the grassy verges. 

You'll love it. It's a must see part of the country. Stunning. @dome99
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    ...and maybe you could sing the Proclaimers as you go: