Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Wise up Scotland

I have just returned from Denmark, having flown in to Manchester and then travelled up by Transpenine Express to Glasgow. I then saw Glasgow through the eyes of a tourist arriving in the city in mid July, at what should be peak holiday time. 

For or a start, there was no wifi on the train. Standard in Denmark. Even an Airport Shuttlebus has super fast broadband. Arrival in Glasgow Central was fine except for the delay - trespassers on the line. Walked from Central to Queen Street Station.  Still in a state of upheaval pending the improvements to the busiest line in Scotland - why July? Walk out of Queen Street to catch the Underground. The Station entrance is boarded up. The whole network is shut down in July. Could not see any obvious information offering an explanation to visitors in English never mind their own language. 

We have some of the best landscape and attractions to offer any tourist but if we cannot get basic communication and transport right then I would certainly think twice, as a tourist, at coming back.

Comments

• sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
    I travel through to Glasgow a lot, it is unfortunate but thankfully the train station isn't the thing that is on most peoples' Scotland holiday bucket list, and the experiences to be had in city of Glasgow, its people and the rest of Scotland can more than make up for a relatively minor inconvenience!