Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top things to do in Fife

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
Want to know why you should visit Fife? This video says it all... experience high speeds on the sands or racetracks, follow in the footsteps of golfing greats and Outlander stars, or explore the history in castles, museums and even bunkers (underground bunkers, not golf bunkers)!

What's your favourite thing to do in Fife?

Comments

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Big fan of the numerous great ruins and historical buildings dotted around Fife - Dunfermline Abbey, St Andrews Castle and Cathedral etc. Love a drive down the East Neuk for a fish supper for champions too. These are my outdoorsy highlights from my weekend in Fife last summer.
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    @travelswithakilt great article.  I live in the Kingdom of Fife so can often be found roaming the streets of St Andrews or enjoying a lovely ice-cream on the beach. Fife has so many amazing beaches to choose from every summer I make a point of visiting as many as possible with either a picnic or with a stove and frying pan for a sausage sizzle with family and friends.  Winter I head to the hills to enjoy the views from Falkland Hill then a little walk around Falkland Palace. 
  • linny48linny48 Member
    Outlander has several film locations throughout Fife in some of the most amazing buildings. Well worth a visit for any Outlander Fan
  • CatzCatz Member ✭✭
    My favourite places to visit in Fife are the East Neuk Fishing Villages, great views and walks at them all - Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem but my most favourite is St Monans, walk through the peaceful village taking in the old salt pans, Windmill and don't forget the Church which is set right on the edge of the coast! It has a fishing boat hanging from the roof inside the Church said to protect the fishermen.  The Mayview Hotel does lovely meals or coffee if you need a stop off on your travels.
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    Fife is an amazing area to visit  I love the East Neuk Fishing Villages  StMonans Crail, Anstruther and Pittenweem . If you fancy visiting The Isle of Mey to see the seabirds and especialllly the gorgeous little Puffins ! Then you can get boat trips to the Island from Anstruther. The Island is managed by the RSPB and visitor numbers are controlled . Booking is essential for the boat trips. Well worth a visit . 
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Some good recommended trips here too :smiley: http://www.welcometofife.com/recommended-trips
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I love Culross, it's a beautiful little town. Like stepping back in time.

I also love Saint Andrews for the history. The cathedral ruins are so dramatic looking and the castle is a really interesting visit. The beach there is great and you can recreate that Chariots of Fire race scene!

The chip shop in Anstruther is legendary and rightly so - love it. On a nice day you can't beat fresh chips by the harbour.

St Bridget's Kirk in Dalgety Bay in another amazing ruin and the wee cemetery has some wonderful old gravestones. It's located right on the Firth kf Forth so the views are lovely.

I still have a soft spot for Burntisland. I holidayed there as a child and used to love my visits. The shows (funfare), paddling pool, putting, mint rock, the whole family crammed into a wee caravan - heaven. So much to see and do in Fife.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

West Sands St Andrews artwork.  Last week (Wednesday 13 June) VisitScotland had a mission to create a 60ft x 40ft piece of sand art to inspire people to share the millions of interesting stories and experiences they have had in different places across Scotland on this our new on-line Community.   The time-lapse film showcase the amazing beach and bits of the beautiful town of St Andrews no wonder Hollywood decided to use this beach in Chariots of fire.   So do you have any stories to share about St Andrews?

The time-lapse

A little Kingdom of Fife update for all you beer lovers!  :)

The much loved Bavarian Beer and music festival is a bi-annual summer event in Kirkcaldy. With a marquee set up in the town square, the weekend provides a wide range of musicians and entertainment. 

Accompanied by German food stalls and children's amusements, it's a fun weekend for the town!

Opening times:
    Thursday 1st September 16.00 - 23.00pm
    Friday 2nd September 12.00 - 23.00pm
    Saturday 3rd September 12.00 - 23.00pm
    Sunday 4th September 12.00 - 21.00pm

Enjoy  :)

• YvonneYvonne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    A walk along Elie beach followed by dinner from the award winning Anstruther fish & chip shop.
    http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/
    Perfect Sunday! 
  • Things to do in St Andrews. Just returned from a lovely weekend break in St Andrews, famous for Scotland's oldest University (the university where Prince William and Kate met) and golf with the old course.  St Andrews has plenty to offer for day trippers, weekend breaks or longer periods.

A wide range of accommodation from 5 star hotels to B&B's, holiday apartments to caravan and camping sites , something to suit all budgets and tastes.  I was lucky enough to be staying at the old course hotel and spa which has spectacular views over the golf course and beach.  The sun was shinning so we took advantage of the roof terrace spa pool and retreated downstairs to the stream room and sauna once the clouds appeared! 

For a small town the shopping opportunities are great ranging from known high street brands such as Jack Wills, H&M, Monsoon, Superdry and Fatface to lots independent shops selling a range of gifts and more unique items.  Golf stores are obviously very popular!

There are no shortage of eating options to choose from take-away options to fine dinning everything is covered.  I'd recommend tasting the ice-cream from the popular ice-cream shops. 

Things to do, obviously St Andrews is a Mecca for golf but there also plenty of other options from paddle boarding to land yatching or if you prefer a slower pace you can simply relax on the beach or explore St Andrews Castle or Cathedral.  If walking is your thing then join the Fife coastal path and explore the beautiful Fife coast.

I've included some pictures so you can see how lovely St Andrew is.

The golf course

The Town

The Beach

The Seafood restaurant, aquarium and bandstand

• FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I recently did a "Feast of Fife" with some other bloggers where we got to try out some of the amazing food and drink http://bit.ly/2e1FMD4 I loved afternoon tea at Eden Mansion, it's an amazing experience, also Jamie Scott at The Newport Restaurant is a fantastic chef.
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    I am always surprised that Dunfermline seems to get missed as a destination (though I should admit to my bias, I was born there). It is the ancient royal capital of Scotland, home to Malcolm III Canmore and his Queen Saint Margaret. It was the place the last ruling monarch of Great Britain to be born in Scotland hails from (OK Charles I wasn't a great king, but still...) Dunfermline Abbey was one of the most important monastic sites in Scotland and the Abbot's House museum is a good example of the important buildings that attached to the foundation. More King's and Queen's of Scotland are buried in the Abbey grounds than anywhere else in the country apart from Iona. This includes the grave of Robert the Bruce, which can now be found in the parish church. Also, William Wallace's mother is meant to be interred in the abbey cemetery. The ruins of the Palace Walls are one of the most atmospheric and beautiful sites in Scotland, especially if you approach them from below along the path through the Glen, the local name for Pittencrieff Park. The park itself was gifted to the people of Dunfermline by one of her most famous sons, Andrew Carnegie. How many people know the town shares a Carnegie Hall with New York? His birthplace museum is worth a visit. It is also a good base for visiting places like Culross, the Forth Bridge, Burntisland, AAberdour, Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy and even further afield to Edinburgh or Stirling.