Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Walks around Ullapool and Ardmair

We have a holiday coming up and we are staying in Ardmair near Ullapool in the North West highlands. Can anyone recommend walks and walking books that cover the area?  We usually use the Jarrold pathfinder books alongside OS maps, but are looking for something new to give us inspiration and advice.

Just to give some background, we aren't novices but aren't pros either! We have taken walking holidays in Scotland and the Lakes for many years (more than I dare to say!) but have usually stayed at Dornie and the Isle of Skye before, so this is a new area for us.  We have completed walks around and up Bla Bheinn, Sgurr an Airgid and Marsco for summit bagging as well as the Old Man of Storr, the Quiraing and Rubha Hunish for the spectacular views.  They are the kinds of walks we are looking for - basically we are looking for two types, one for some great days walking for the stunning views with a little bit of a challenge, and then to contrast, walks that are a bit more challenging to gain some height and if the weather permits gets us a fab view from a summit!  

One last question, has anyone walked to Eas a Chual Aluinn and is that one to definitely plan is?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting some great ideas!

Comments

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    The Cicerone Guides are my go-to resource if I'm looking for ideas for hills and routes to do. They do a good guide to the Corbetts and Grahams up on the North Coast. Seeing as you're up in the Assynt area then the obvious choices would be Stac Pollaidh  and the likes of Cul Mor and Cul Beag for shorter but spectacular days out.

Then you have Suilven which I think everyone recognises, it's a long day but should be well within your capabilities if you've done hills on Skye. One of my personal favourites is Quinag, it's got a few different routes up it and three different summits. The North Face is an impressive beast to look at if you happen to drive North towards Kylesku. The nice thing about this one is you can take the shorter easier route to one of the summits or you can turn it into a longer more challenging day. 

I haven't walked into Eas a' Chual Aluinn but I've heard it's definitely worth the journey. 

If you do only one thing then go to Achnahaird beach, you won't regret it! And for food for your journey you could do worse than visit Lochinver Larder in Lochinver (funnily enough!) their pies are becoming the stuff of legend!
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • GillyGilly Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much, lots of ideas here!  I've ordered the cicerone guide and OS maps for the area.  Looked at the Suilivan and Quinag walks that you mention, and weather permitting we may well give them both a go.  Funnily enough, Achnahaird beach had been pencilled in so that one is now a definate one to visit too. 

I Googled the larder, the deliver their pies! I have resisted the temptation to order online and will visit in person instead.  The biggest issue I have now is how on earth to fit everything in to one week!!

Thanks again.