Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

North Berwick recommendations?

I'm planning a day trip to North Berwick (I've never been) and wondered what the must-see/do things are? Any advice much appreciated! 

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    If you have time, you can drive to or take the bus number 120 to Tantallon Castle (ten minute bus ride from Church Road in the town centre). The castle sits on the cliff's edge with some dramatic views.
  • YvonneYvonne Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAmy Hi Amy, a walk out to the harbour is always nice, and then you can continue along the beach from there. If you go along to the end and over the cliffs there are stunning views from up there. Also on the high street a visit to The Sugar Mountain is a must - lots of traditional sweet treats :)
  • IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭

Great beach walk and ice cream, boat trip to Bass Rock and puffin watching! Hurry to see them before they leave and return to the open sea :) make sure you don't miss them :) 
    NB.jpg 132.8K
  • BecksBecks Member
    I used to just visit North Berwick from Edinburgh but loved it so much I moved here!  Few thoughts - some great independent shops on the High Street (I'm addicted to Time & Tide and the market stalls in Why Not), spot of lunch or coffee (Steampunk, JPs Deli, Cafe in Why Not or Cake for biggest toasties ever).  Or for alfresco dining try the Lobster Shack on the harbour or Rocketeer near the Seabird Centre. Definitely recommend a good beach walk, boat trip (as above) or even hire kayaks.  Love Love Love it.  Enjoy! 
    @Becks what a great place to live in! #jealous :wink:
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    North Berwick Law is a short but rewarding walk with stunning views. Not to be missed.  If you're lucky you'll even get to meet the ponies who live there.

Dirleton Castle nearby is also worth a visit. @VisitScotlandAmy

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Just spent a week in the area for the first time and I loved it! Climbed the Law a sunny afternoon and it was amazing! A highlight of the week. The weather was perfect as was the views... of bass rock and tantallon castle, the sea and town etc. Also went on a boat tour to bass rock which was amazing and I saw my first ever puffin!! Love them!! 
    Visited Dirleton Castle as well which was great. Will be back! Must see the ponies :)
    scottishmoments.com #scottishmoments @scottishmoments
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    @VisitScotlandJulie @Yvonne @Iknowluxury @Becks @Samantha_Grant @scottishmoments_blog these are all fantastic recommendations, thank you! Hoping to go this Friday so it'd be amazing to see the Puffins! A boat trip sounds like a good idea, and we'll definitely explore the local shops and the beach. Thanks for all your advice (photos lovely too!). 

I'll report back with photos! 
  • RachelEWoodsRachelEWoods Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi @VisitScotlandAmy, i have lived in North Berwick since my nursery/primary school days and I can proudly say that there is a lot of fantastic things to see and do in my hometown.

Beaches/golf courses:
    The beaches and golf course areas are lovely to walk along with family, friends and pets, you can get fantastic views of the Bass Rock and over across to Fife. The islands are iconic, especially if you are a Treasure Island fan!

There is also the Scottish Seabird Centre which is a fantastic attraction if you want to find out more about the world's largest population of gannets!

Shopping/Food and Drink:
    Shopping and food and drink - North Berwick has a sweet little high street you can wander up and down. There are plenty of little cafes, restaurants art galleries clothes shops and gift shops to browse in. My personal favorite has got to be Sugar Mountain for the tablet and ice-cream, yum! We also have a shop which sells our specialty NB Gin! (Lockett Bros Scotland)

The Law (aka very big hill):
    You can't leave North Berwick without going up the Law. It is by far one of the best places to get a fantastic view of the town and surrounding areas. I recommend you take your camera for this because you will get some fantastic pictures from up here. There also some wee Shetland ponies in the area too which are lovely to look at.

Dirleton and Tantallon Castle:
    Tantallon Castle is about 5-10 minutes out of North Berwick along the coast line. It is very close in relation to the Bass Rock so you will get a good view of this from here. There is a lot of history to be found in the castle ruins so i recommend going there if you are a keen historian.

Dirleton Castle is also about 5-10 minutes away from North Berwick but like Tantallon, has it's own special story behind it. It is set in the pretty village of Dirleton which is very pretty and is a lovely place to take a wander. There's lots of walks in the area, including one trail I have taken with my family many times towards Archerfield Links. 

The surrounding villages such as Gullane and Dirleton are also very nice to take a wander around and also have a nice selection of shops and places to walk. 

I hope this helps you with your trip planning!
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    @RachelEWoods these suggestions are all fab, thank you! I'm sure they'll be helpful to others planning trips to North Berwick too. I think Dirleton and the castle sound good so if we take the car I'd be keen to visit :) Thanks again!
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    If you enjoy your visit to North Berwick this week @VisitScotlandAmy, you should try to head back for the Fringe by the Sea festival in August - lots of shows and events taking place, and stunning seaside views from the venues!