Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Dog friendly places to eat on the Kintyre peninsula

ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
We have booked a lovely dog friendly holiday let in Machrihanish for the first week in September and we are looking for information on dog friendly places to eat and drink on the Kintyre peninsula where we can take our dogs inside with us. The Campbeltown visitor info centre has been able to give us a few options I.e. Amelia's cafe bistro, Fresh Bites and the Argyll Hotel but I'm really surprised how limited the number of dog friendly places in Kintyre is. Does anyone know of any other dog friendly cafes/pubs/restaurants etc anywhere on the Kintyre peninsula?

Comments

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant have you got any tips on this one? 

@ElaineR have seen this website? It might help:

https://www.dugswelcome.com/dogs-welcome-scotland/

I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hi,yes I know this website, indeed I have been doing my utmost to help populate the Scottish Borders section with dog friendly pub info as this section was sorely lacking in content. There's not much on dog friendly places in Kintyre on the Dugs website at present but after our visit to Kintyre in September I hope to be able to submit details of at least a handful of further pubs/cafes/restaurants to Rhian who runs the website to help bolster the content for this particular area too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
    Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Like you I tend to do a lot of my own research ahead of a visit but it's always handy to get personal recommendations too. Gigha is already on our day visit list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • NiallMHNiallMH Member
    Hi, think a few of those in Carradale are also fine - Carradale Hotel and the the Glen Bar.  Try those when you are there.  We are pet friendly but self-catering at Torrisdale, but you can always visit for a walk in the grounds.
    @NiallMH thank you so much for the suggestions
  • HannaniteHannanite Member ✭✭
    Elaine, I understand your frustration but I happen to think that your choice of options does not seem bad at all. Many people are so 'blinded' by the love for their dogs that they do not seem to appreciate that not everyone shares their viewpoint. I, for one, would not really be that keen on having my meal with a dog in the vicinity. I guess that Cafe and Restaurant owners must strike a commercial balance of what is right for them. I also believe that there might by Environmental Health restrictions on how far dogs are allowed to be from food preparation areas and this may therefore prove restrictive to some establishments.

@Hannanite Legally, there's no issue with any dog being in a place where food is served as long as the food is prepared in a separate area. I do understand what you are saying though - one option to cater for dog owners and non-dog owners is for a particular area within a cafe/restaurant to be designated as 'the dog friendly area' then it's clear to everyone that if you choose to sit there, it's highly likely that you'll have a dog nearby, but equally there is the option to sit in the dog-free part of the establishment - that way everyone wins.
  • Kirst1709Kirst1709 Member ✭✭
    Starfish restaurant in Tarbert is dog friendly, as is the Corner House pub next door to it :) 
    @Kirst1709 thanks so much for the info - much appreciated!