Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Walks with wow factor - what are your favourites?

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
Walks with wow factor.  What are your favourites? 

I spend a lot of my spare time out of doors walking and enjoying some of Scotland's finest scenery. 

Here are some of my favourites:

Creag an Tuirc, Balquhidder - A short uphill hike towards Kirkton Glen from Rob Roy's grave and you'll see a diversion off the main path to the right which will take you to the ancient rallying point of the Clan MacLaren - Creag an Tuirc. The views down over Loch Voil and Balquhidder are spectacular. It takes little effort to get there but the reward is great when you do.

Ben A'an, Trossachs
- A small rocky hill masquerading as a mountain with some of Scotland's finest views of Loch Katrine and beyond.

Dun na Cuaiche, Inveraray
- A steep climb uphill from the castle grounds rewards with amazing views down over Inveraray Castle, the town of Inveraray and Loch Fyne.  The sort of spot you'll want to linger to soak up the view. 

Ruined Village of Ormaig, Isle of Ulva
 - A moderate hike over at times boggy and rough terrain but the views from the ruined clearance village are amongst the best I've ever seen.  There's a haunting sadness to the clearance ruins but the place has a beautiful, calm air to it too - Magical.

Corrie Fee, Glen Clova
- The woodland walk to Corrie Fee from the ranger station car park at Glen Doll is pretty dull, viewless and uninspiring but this is quickly forgotten when you enter the dramatic rocky amphitheatre that is Corrie Fee. The first glimpse of it will make your jaw drop.  In summer it's a riot of delicate alpine flowers and purple heather. 

North Berwick Law, North Berwick - A short, easy climb, rocky towards the summit but 360 degree panoranic views of East Lothian and the Firth of Forth towards Fife.  If you're lucky you may even spot the Exmoor Ponies that live on the law.

These are just a few of my many favourites as the list is endless. 

I'd love to hear about your favourites Scottish walks with rewarding wow factor views. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandSheenaVisitScotlandSheena Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited June 2016
    Fantastic images and walks @Samantha_Grant. I'm particularly keen to try North Berwick Law as it's been on my list for ages. 

There are so many walks to choose from...

I live in West Lothian and a few weeks back (with antihistamines at the ready), I did part of the walk from Uphall to Binny Craig hill. We didn't make it to the top, but the views back down over the fields were lovely. 

And thankfully, despite what the images suggest - the rain didn't make an appearance!

Also keen to follow more of the John Muir Way as I know there are great views along it too.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    It looks a lovely walk, the yellow field is beautiful. I must check it out as it's not too far from me in Edinburgh.  The dreaded hayfever season. My hubby gets it too and always has antihistamines handy when we're out and about. 

You'll love North Berwick Law. It's such a beautiful town too. I wrote a wee blog post about the day we climbed it you may like. Some of the John Muir Way is in the area too. I've only ever done little bits of it. 

Live for the moment…… – Scotland with the wee white dug
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite walks in the Scottish Borders is the Duchess' Drive walk at Bowhill near Selkirk. The ascent is very gradual but you are still rewarded with fantastic panoramic views across the region. Plan to take your break at the grouse butts which provide excellent shelter from the wind and also a convenient place to sit to enjoy your lunch whilst looking out at one of the best views you'll find anywhere in the region

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/duchess-drive.shtml
  • EileanDonanEileanDonan Member ✭✭
    The Quiraing on Skye is one of the most rewarding and spectacular walks in the country. We recommend it too thousands of people every year and its suitable for all ages too! Not a difficult walk at all, but it offers incredible panoramas!
  • I climbed up North Berwick Law the other week, and what a view!! It was amazing! Could see both Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle from the top. I have some nice photos from that day but I cant upload them yet it says when I try.. I have to be around a little longer it says. I will upload them once I am allowed :) 
    scottishmoments.com #scottishmoments @scottishmoments