Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scottish Highland Games

kirstyaturnerkirstyaturner VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
A Highland Games is a traditional event celebrating Scottish culture.  They are held from May to September each year and some of the things you can expect to see include highland dancing, heavy events - including tossing the caber, pipes and drums, track and field, and a lot of tartan!

To give some examples, I've added links below to some of the events taking place in 2016.

The World Pipe Band Championships - 12th & 13th August 2016 at Glasgow Green
http://www.theworlds.co.uk/Pages/home.aspx

Argyllshire Gathering - held on the fourth Saturday in August, Oban
http://web227.extendcp.co.uk/obangames.com/

Cowal Highland Gathering - held in August in Dunoon, Argyll - where highland dancers come from all over the UK and around the world, to compete at the World Highland Dancing Championships.
http://www.cowalgathering.com/

Braemar Gathering - held on the first Saturday in September, with Her Majesty the Queen as Patron.
http://www.braemargathering.org/

Mull Highland Games - held on the beautiful Island of Mull
http://www.tobermory.co.uk/events-diary-2/events/highland-games/

Arisaig Highland Games - held in a very scenic location!
http://www.arisaighighlandgames.co.uk/

A great day out, a flavour of Scottish culture and a family friendly atmosphere!
Kirsty Instagram | Ask me about all things Scotland, from hillwalking to highland dancing...

Comments

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    And don't forget the Scottish Highland Games Association - they've got a great calendar of events which is good for finding out when there might be a Games on near you.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever been to the Nairn games. My hubby's home town. It's a HUGE thing up there. The whole town comes out to follow the pipe band from the museum to the links where the games take place.  There's a real carnival atmosphere. All the Nairn ex pats travel home for the weekend too. I'd thoroughly recommend Highland games to anyone thinking of checking them out. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    Coming from Angus, I attended a Lowland Games when I was younger, but there was no heavy events so I'd love to go to a Highland games and see all the spectacle first-hand!

If anyone is planning a Highland games trip this year, check out our new Highland games guide for 2016 - it's got all the dates, times and info you need for your trip.
  • ScotlandAdventuresScotlandAdventures VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I've been to lots of Highland Games but one of my favourites is the Carmunnock Highland Games on the outskirts of Glasgow.  It has a nice intimate and fun atmosphere but attracts some of the biggest names in the heavy events and strongman circuit and is handy for visiting if you're in Glasgow.
    Scottish Travel Blogger at Adventures Around Scotland

Follow me on Social Media at Twitter Facebook Instagram Pinterest

• OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    I've been to the Birnam & Dunkeld highland games a few times, definitely worth checking out and whilst in the area a must visit is the Hermitage for great walks and impressive waterfalls. 
  • edited April 2016
    Braemar Junior Highland Games are a good shout if you've got kids as they'll be able to compete themselves.
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    There's also a new event this year at the The Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston, Edinburgh on 3rd and 4th September 2016. Scotcon: www.scotcon.scot

It's quite expensive though ... but sounds great :).
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • There's also a new event this year at the The Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston, Edinburgh on 3rd and 4th September 2016. Scotcon: www.scotcon.scot

It's quite expensive though ... but sounds great :).
    Definitely one for Outlander fans as there are a number of stars attending!
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandHeather I'm so excited! Decided to just do it whether I could afford it or not, I'm going to Scotcon! Autograph book ordered too :) Love Outlander  <3
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • The Highland Games season has well and truly started!  

This weekend (28-29 May) there is the Atholl and Breadalbane Highland Gathering (Pitlochry), Blackford Highland Games (Perthshire), Bathgate & West Lothian Highland Games and Carmunnock International Highland Games (Greater Glasgow).  

Check out even more the following week and throughout the summer!
  • m13attm13att Member
    Can't recommend Scotland's Highland games enough. A must for visitors to Scotland as it showcases our cultural in a family friendly environment. Stirling Highland Games on Sat 20th August is one of the official member games of the Highland games association. Heavyweights, highland dancing and track & field competition as well as Scotland Food & Drink producers, traders village and an activity challenge area for the younger audience to have a go. Hope you can make it to Stirling as part of your  Scottish experience. Www.stirlinghighlandgames.com 
  • I'm hoping to get to a Highland Games event this summer so lots of great info from everyone. Now just to pick which one!

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram