Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Summer Holidays - Days Out

VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
With the summer holidays just around the corner it would be great to hear from folk where they plan to go on days out!

A great day out for all the family in my area (Strontian) is a trip to Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan. From Strontian it takes nearly 2 hrs to get there but I promise you it's worth it. To break the journey up you can stop at Glenborrodale and visit the Natural History Center and get a well deserved cuppa. Here you can see a model of the peninsula and the Volcanic Ring and learn some more of the history and Geography of the area.

You then carry on towards the village of Kilchoan and head towards Sanna. Here you can see the Isles of Eigg, Muck and Rum from the beach. The sand is soft and the waters are turquoise blue. Children will love rolling down the dunes, as I'm sure a few adults will as well.There are walks along the beach where you can go exploring. You may see Dolphins, Whales, Otters or the Sea Eagles. Please note that there are no facilities at Sanna Bay.

Whilst in the area you could also visit the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse, they say its the most Westerly Point on the British Mainland but Corrachadh Mòr a kilometer to the South is actually the most Westerly Point. The Lighthouse stands at an impressive 36 meter and there are trips to the top of the lighthouse where you can get great panoramic views. There is a wee tearoom and gift shop at the lighthouse as well as an interesting visitor center where you can learn all about the Lighthouse and the Lighthouse Keepers.

Please let us know what days out you are planning and recommendations :) 

Comments

• JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Dawyck Gardens near Broughton are great for a day out.  I was there in June and the flowers were in full bloom.  Gorgeous place to wander around, take a break on one of the many benches with a sandwich and cake from the on-site shop.  Beautiful!
  • VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Joolshornet thanks for that, sounds a beautiful place to visit :)