Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurants in Scotland

VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Most restaurants nowadays cater for vegetarians, usually with one or two options to satisfy our taste buds, but it's still quite tricky to find somewhere which caters specifically for a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Inverness, for example, only has two dedicated vegetarian/vegan cafés:

1. Blend Tea & Coffee Merchants - their homemade vegan cupcakes are amazing! I always have one with an almond milk cappuccino when I feel like a little treat :blush:
2. Nourish - their vegan BLT sandwich is my go-to whenever I'm there.

Do you have any recommendations for vegetarian/vegan cafés or restaurants in Scotland? Anything in particular on their menu you would recommend? :smile:

Comments

• JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    The FoodStory Cafe in Aberdeen offers mainly veg/raw/vegan food. It all looks and tastes amazing but is healthy - what more could you ask for?! I believe they are looking into creating a cook book due to the popularity of their dishes. 
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Cafe 82 in Drumnadrochit do a seriously good range of vegan/veggie/gluten free/raw cakes and savouries. Their coffee is very good too! https://www.facebook.com/cafeighty2/
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • ChelseaChelsea Member ✭✭
    David Bann in Edinburgh is nice for a special occasion or the Roseleaf in Edinburgh (The Shore) do some really nice superfood veggie salads too!
  • themerrydancerthemerrydancer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The only one I've visited in recent years was David Bann in Edinburgh. The food was delicious and I'd love to return next time I'm in the city. The aubergine, chick pea and cashew koftas were lovely. 
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Glasgow was named the Vegan Capital for the UK by PETA. Yes, this surprised me as well!

We have places such as:  The 78The 13thNoteThe Bungo Bar & KitchenMonoCherry and Heather, Bloc and The Flying Duck. 

Burger joint Steak Cattle & Roll also serve vegan burgers.
    Bloc recently created a vegan fry up complete with "black pudding" and tofu "scrambled eggs".
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandJulie I love Hendersons, too! It's my go-to place in Edinburgh for veggie food. In Glasgow, I'm a massive fan of the 78 and the CCA on Sauchiehall Street, too. Their chocolate cake is to DIE for! :smile:
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @ananyah I had no idea Glasgow was named the Vegan Capital of the UK - that's brilliant! Will definitely be checking out your recommendations next time I'm down Glasgow way :smiley:
  • IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    Earthy in Edinburgh and Pillars of Hercules in Falkland 
  • GillGill Member
    Adding to the Glasgow recommendations!
    • Saramago Cafe Bar (Centre for Contemporary Arts) 
    • The Hug & Pint (Pub near St George's Cross subway) - no set dishes but always great food!

• JadeMJadeM Member
    Stereo in Renfield Lane in Glasgow is also really nice. They do great soups, and I once had a vegan chocolate and raspberry brownie, it was delicious! It's also in a Rennie Mackintosh building and is a music venue. 
    Hanoi Bike Shop in Ruthven Lane in the West End of Glasgow has a separate vegan menu, with delicious Vietnamese food. 
  • SreekarSreekar Member
    Good to know Inverness caters vegetarian food. Does Portree have vegetarian food options?
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    The Artisan Lounge in Ayr is great wee place on the Auld Brig! http://www.artisanlounge.co.uk/
  • MarionHDMarionHD Member
    @Sreekar Cafe Arriba in Portree do vegetarian options - check the Whats On Skye website for some other places too :)
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    I was in  Edinburgh earlier this week taking in some of the fringe and festival , and of course enjoying the great atmosphere ! I am not a true vegetarian , however I do like to go to Hendersons On Hanover Street , they have fantastic food served in what I would call a relaxed rustic setting . They have live music in the evenings too. Treated to great music on the piano . If you like vegetarian food at a great price then this is the place to go .
  • Agree with lots of the comments above.  Henderson in Edinburgh and David Bann are both excellent and get great feedback.   Lots of other restaurants will offer quite extensive vegetarian options too so always worth checking their menu online.
    Donnie
    Your Scottish Tour
    Tour Website: www.yourscottishtour.com
    Food Blog: www.theboyseatscotland.scot
    Twitter: @boyseatscotland
    Instagram: @boyseatscotland
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited October 2016
    Some of my Edinburgh favourites that haven't already been mentioned above are:

- The Baked Potato Shop on Cockburn street (so cheap and so filling)
    - Paradise Palms (if you go on a Tuesday you can get 2 for 1 vegan hot dogs!)
    - The Regent pub in Leith (just yummy pub food but always at least 4-5 vegan options on the menu)
    - The Brass Monkey in Leith 
    - Nova Pizza in Stockbridge (best vegan pizza I've ever had - the cheese melts just like dairy cheese)
    - Taco Mazama (various locations) always have at least 4-5 vegan options
    - Handmade Burger at Ocean Point - hot tip - if you go before the movies show your ticket and you get a buy one, get one half price deal. They have 5 vegan burgers on the menu and plenty of vegan sides

And there are plenty of chains that cater for vegans too if you get stuck - Pret, Zizzi's, Weatherspoons, Bar Burrito etc.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • seacoolseacool Member
    edited October 2016
    The Mexican in Atholl Street in Perth, while not vegetarian, can provide both vegetarian and vegan options for main courses. I have eaten there twice and can thoroughly recommend it. 
  • seacoolseacool Member
    Sugar Daddy's gluten free bakery at Rodney Street, Edinburgh, sell delicious vegan cake options.