Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Mary King's Close

Hello!  We will be in Edinburgh this summer and wish to go to Mary King's Close.  My daughter is a mostly brave almost-9 year old but someone told me Mary King's was super scary for kids.  Does anyone have any opinions about the appropriate age for this?  

Also, I know this tend to sell out. Any idea of how far in advance?

Thanks!
munroeKO

Comments

• munroekomunroeko Member ✭✭
    edited June 5
    Oh, and should have mentioned, we'll be there late July.  Just trying to gage if Mary King's sells out hours in advance... or days.... or weeks...?  Thanks!

• EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hi @munroeko - I've known parents to take children of the same age on this tour and they didn't find it too scary. I'm sure she'll be ok, but it might be worth talking to the tour company about it. 

I'd suggest booking a day or two in advance just in case it's a busy day. 

Have an amazing time when you visit, give us a shout if you want any other suggestions for things to do. 

Gary  :)
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @munroeko

The Real Mary King's Close is not considered a scary tour. There is not really much focus on ghosts if that's what you mean. It is more about what life was like in Edinburgh's Old Town in the 17th Century, which by its very nature can be dark.

In summer (especially at the weekend) it is best to book ahead to avoid disappointment.
    Thanks, @EdinBlogger and @VisitScotlandJulie!  I suspect I was not being given correct information - someone was making it sound like one of those tours where things jump out at you but I think they were misinformed.   Just wanted to be sure.

@EdinBlogger, I'll definitely let you know if we need other suggestions.  Thanks!  My bigger issue is that this is my first time back in Scotland in several years so in addition to doing new things there are many things I want to do/see again so I am having a hard time fitting everything into our itinerary!    53 days and counting!
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @munroeko
    As other people have said, I think a 9 year-old will be fine with a visit to MKC. My son went with his cub scout group when he was about the same age and he was fine (even though he used to be terrified of ghosts when he was much younger :'( ). It's a very educational visit and a great glimpse into what life was like centuries ago - a fascinating place! It's very busy but tours run very regularly from 10am till 9pm in summer so I am sure you will find space on a tour. Book now if you're sure you want to go. 
    What else are you thinking about going to see? Maybe we can help you further? Have a fantastic holiday!!
    edited June 12
    Hi @VisitScotlandMuriel .  Thanks for the advice!  I am sure my daughter will be fine so we are excited for the tour!  I think the people we were talking to were either over-reacting or thinking of something else.  I am going to book our MKC tour in the next few weeks.  I am glad that they have late tours in the summer!

We are doing 3.5 days in Edinburgh, driving to Claichaig Inn then through Glennfinan to Mallaig with 2.5 days in Skye.  Then we'll come back via Loch Ness to Perthshire for two days (my grandmother was from Perthshire so we're going through many of her ancestors' towns).  After that we head to Glasgow for a day via Loch Lomond then home.  It's my first time in Scotland in 17 years and my family has never been so we are trying to balance out everything everyone wants to do.  So much to see!   We leave in 47 days.   :D